We are thrilled to announce the Filmmaker-in-Residence for the Spring 2014 semester!

This semester, our talented filmmaker is
Emmy-winning director Donald Petrie
who directed such films as
Miss Congeniality, How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days
, and
Mystic Pizza
.  For a complete list of credits,
please visit Mr. Petrie’s IMDb page
.

Students selected to participate as a Marion Knott scholar will have the opportunity to work one-on-one with one of Hollywood’s finest filmmakers. 
Image of Director Donald Petrie, announced as Dodge College's Filmmaker in Residence for Spring 2014

Scholars should have a work in progress, either a screenplay, a concept in development, or footage suitable for an episodic form to work on during the semester.  Scholars will meet individually with Mr. Petrie for an hour every other Tuesday.  There will be a lunch with Mr. Petrie and all of the Scholars at some point during the semester.

While the films and times are subject to change, we do already know some of the films he’s planning to screen this semester:

• Grumpy Old Men [With special guest Buck Henry] (Update: Buck had to cancel.)
  • Great Expectations (1946 — not the 2013 version)
  • The Associate
  • How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

In previous years, our Filmmakers in Residence program has included guests as diverse as Randal Kleiser and Leslie Dixon, to Betty Thomas and JoAnne Sellar.  Regardless of which discipline they are known for, the Filmmakers always have impactful, life-changing advice to dole out to our ambitious students.  Last year, a handful of the honored students took their thoughts to pen and paper, thanking the program’s sponsor – Marion Knott — and the Filmmaker, Cathleen Summers, for their endless support:

To Marion Knott:

I want to extend my gratitude for making our artist in residence program possible.  As a graduate student it is very important to meet with professionals and prepare to begin my career once I graduate.  This program allows me to get an insight on the inner-workings of the entertainment industry and to have a mentor that will help me understand how I can develop my skills by giving me input and critiques.

This past semester, I have found Cathleen Summer to be very inspiring in pushing me to expand my skills and to develop new ones.  She has given me a brand new perspective on what it takes to tell a story and how to be a better director and writer.  I was able to tap into what drives me and how I need to move forward to become a better story teller.

Such guidance is extremely valuable to me and all other students.  This program is something I will definitely recommend to other students as well as new incoming students.

Thank you for making this possible.

Best regards,

Israel Gutierrez

Graduate – Directing Emphasis

Dear Marion Knott,

Thank you so much for you contribution into the filmmaker-in-residence program. I must admit, I had no idea what to expect when I was accepted to be a scholar. After working with the amazing Cathleen Summers, the experience has been almost life changing in my overall experience at Dodge College. I thank you for providing this experience to me and to future filmmakers.

Sincerely,

Jordan Sandfer

To Marion Knott,

Sincere thanks for bringing producer, Cathleen Summers, to be a part of the filmmaker-in-residence program this past semester.  Truly grateful to have been given the opportunity to work-shop one of my scripts with someone with so much industry experience, a sharp mind, and an engaging personality as well.  Discussing my projects with Cathleen and receiving advice on how to further develop these projects, my future as a writer, the meetings I was taking, and the stories and pitches I was working to develop more fully was truly an instructive and insightful learning experience for me. Definitely one of the highlights of my experience here at Chapman.  Thanks again!

-Brian Hibbert

We can’t wait to see what our Marion Knott Scholars will produce, and hear what they’ve experienced!