A Blackboard course shell is automatically created for each course taught at Chapman University. Therefore, instructors do not need to request the creation of a Blackboard course shell for a course listed in the current class schedule. Shells for an upcoming semester are created 60 days prior to the beginning of a new term.
Courses are available to instructors in Blackboard once they are assigned to the course in PeopleSoft. Students must register though the registrar’s office in order to be enrolled as a student into a Blackboard course. Students will have access to the Blackboard course within 4 hours of registering.
|Supplemental Instructor (SI)||Tutor|
|Teaching Assistant (TA)||Teaching Assistant|
|Graduate Course Assistant (GCA)||Instructor|
|Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA)||Instructor|
- Tutor – Tutors can assist an instructor in the creation, management, delivery of Announcements, Discussions and Groups. If a course is unavailable to students, the course appears in the course list for a user with the role of Tutor. However, the tutor can’t enter the course until the course is available.
- Teaching Assistant – TAs are typically assigned to faculty assistants, teaching assistants, or administrative assistants who help to develop and maintain course materials, communications, assessments, and grades in a Blackboard course. Teaching assistants can’t remove an instructor from a course. If the course is unavailable to students, teaching assistants may still access the course.
- Guest – Guests do not directly participate in activities. Guest Access is turned off at the course level. Instructors have the control to turn this on or to allow/disallow guest access to content, specific areas and tools of the course.
- Student – Students have access to content areas, communication and collaboration tools, and assessments, given the instructor has made these available to students. Only those with the role of Student can take assessments and have grades recorded in the Blackboard gradebook. If a course is unavailable to students, the course will not appear in the course list.
- Instructor – Instructors have full access to the course. This role is generally assigned to the person developing, teaching, or facilitating the class. The instructor role can control tool availability. If a course is unavailable to students, users with the Instructor role may still access it.
- Academic Fellows – Need to submit this form: https://goo.gl/forms/iYcUv5rKBof6AgaI3
- SI – Need to contact Christine Tostado, Administrative Assistant for Tutoring Programs email@example.com
- TA – The TA must complete FERPA training. Instructions on how to complete the FERAP training: http://wordpress.chapman.edu/blackboard/2013/07/25/ta-ferpa-training/
- Student – After registering for a course through the registrar’s office the student will have access to their Blackboard course within 4 hours.
- Auditors – Must go through the registrar’s office and submit the appropriate paperwork.
- GTA – Must go through the registrar’s office and submit the appropriate paperwork.
- GCA – The primary instructor will need to follow these instructions if they would like to enroll another instructor into their course: http://wordpress.chapman.edu/blackboard/2017/09/08/enroll-instructor/
- Instructor – Are enrolled through the registrar’s office or departments administrative assistant.
For questions regarding users in your Blackboard course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.