Rita Tamer, Ed.D.

Wilkinson College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Department of World Languages and Cultures

Research Area (or Specialization):

Dr. Rita Tamer received her B.A. in Deaf Studies from CSU, Northridge in 1997. For Graduate School Dr. Tamer attended Gallaudet University and later finished her M.A. in Linguistics from CSU, Northridge in 1999. Dr. Tamer also received her Ed.D. in Community College Executive Leadership from Argosy University 2008.

Relevant course(s) name/number, approx. number of students, and short description

American Sign Language classes: ASL 101, ASL 102 and ASL 201 with 19-21 students.These courses include introductions to the fundamentals, intermediate and advance levels American Sign Language. The courses prepare students to work within a visual environment and initiate basic, intermediate or advanced visual/gestural communication in ASL.

Teaching or learning problem/challenge that made you rethink your learning model or approach or try something new.

For a visual class, such as ASL, students need to be able to take some of what is taught in the classroom home. Therefore I have created my lectures along with some practice items that can be viewed online. Several issues come about because of this. Some students mention that they are unable to view the videos. This can be due to several reasons like security on their computer, or using the wrong browser. There is a simple fix for that, but until the student mentions it, I am unable to assist them.

How you addressed that challenge (if applicable, what technology, learning strategy, etc. you integrated to do so)

Because of this issue with not being able to view the videos, I have included instructions in the Announcements section showing and telling students how to view the videos.

How students responded, any challenges, and lessons learned

Students really appreciate being able to go back and view lectures whenever they need to. The challenge is when there is a glitch with the LMS. I always tell students to contact me immediately if they find a problem so I can correct it or find another method.

What images or media might help tell your story.

I use YouTube and ARC for my videos.

Link to Video Presentations

Fore more Information about the Panel Discussion, Click Here