So it is now official, we are switching from BlackboardLearn to the Canvas LMS!

This semester I am using Canvas as much as possible so I can become more familiar with its capabilities and can consider how our adoption of this platform will impact teaching and learning on our campuses.  One feature of Canvas that I am particularly pleased about is how simple it is to grade quizzes with the Canvas Teacher Mobile App. In my courses I typically give a short reading quiz at the beginning of each class, and grading these assessments is a snap with the mobile app, which allows me to easily assign points for their responses and to leave comments for the students. With a few taps and swipes I can grade a whole section of quizzes while drinking my morning cup of coffee.

I have other exciting news to share: we have recently licensed the Adobe Creative Cloud for all of our students. This means that they have access to tools like PhotoShop and Illustrator for free when they login using their Chapman account. This will not only help our students to create Anything Imaginable while at Chapman, but will also help them to gain fluency in using industry-grade software tools.

Another new technology that you may want to use in your classroom is VR. To support your needs, we are currently running a pilot project with a set of OculusGo headsets that faculty may check out from the Tech Hub.  Want more information on how you can use these with your students?  Send an email to eductech@chapman.edu.

A few links that you might find helpful or thought-provoking:

Happy Teaching,

Jana Remy
Director, Educational Technology
Co-Director, Institute for Excellence in Teaching & Learning.

Still reading? The first three instructors who send an email to remy@chapman.edu with the subject line “Canvas is Coming to ChapmanU” will receive a complimentary copy of Ken Bain’s excellent book, What the Best College Teachers Do.