As part of becoming prepared for a possible campus closure due to coronavirus, I know that many of you are trying new tools and methods. Pivoting to a new platform, software, or methodology midsemester is not easy!  Thus, I wanted to share a social media post from faculty member Georgiana Bostean, who recently tried using Zoom for her class to see how it worked.  She wrote:

Tested virtual classroom today and here are some thoughts on what worked using Zoom Pro:

1. It was easy to set up– just send the link via Blackboard announcements–students can access via web browser without downloading but reported that downloading the app worked better.

2. Use the “mute participants upon entry” option.

3. Use the chat box to post tips for students upon entry, including (a) encouraging them to use a webcam so it feels more like a classroom, (b) pressing and holding down spacebar to temporarily unmute themselves, (c) using the chat box to post questions or raise hand before unmuting (if it’s a larger class).

4. Sharing the screen is great for computer-based classes, but for lecture style, better to have them open the slides themselves so the resolution is better for them.

I wanted to share this post with you, so you could see an example of someone who is learning what to do, and what not to do, with the Zoom platform, which is one option that you might consider for hosting an online class meeting. We also have other online class meetings options available, the easiest being using the Conferences feature within Canvas. I’ll be testing out the Canvas Conferences soon myself and will let you know how it goes.

I also wanted to remind you about the link for all of our online teaching resources: www.chapman.edu/teachingremotely as well as the link to our upcoming training sessions (scroll down the page to register).