Dr. Peter McLaren was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award in Critical Media Literary presented by the Critical Media Literacy Conference at Georgia Southern University in Savannah, GA on Saturday, February 25. This multidisciplinary conference aimed to assist current educational leaders, future teachers, youth, and other concerned citizens in their understanding of the mass media and its impact on the events that shape our daily lives. Dr. McLaren was also the keynote speaker at this fifth annual conference.

“I am greatly honored by this award,” McLaren said. “I am so pleased to be recognized for my work in media literacy over the years. Given today’s concerns with ‘fake news’ and ‘alternative facts,’ critical media literacy is needed more than ever today.”

peteraward
In late March during the annual American Educational Research Association (AERA) conference in San Antonio, TX, Dr. McLaren will again be honored for his contributions to the field of curriculum studies. He was selected as this year’s recipient of the AERA Division B Lifetime Achievement Award, recognizing his scholarship and service within the field.

“I graduated with my Ph.D. in Curriculum Studies in 1984, from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto,” he said. “Thirty-three years ago, I could not have imagined that one day I would be honored for my work by AERA’s Division B, Curriculum Studies. Curriculum Studies has a proud history in the field of education, and I am so very grateful to have had the opportunity to share in this history.”

The College of Educational Studies will once again host a reception at AERA, and we hope you will be able to join us that evening for a short program and hors d’oeuvres. More information can be found on the back of the AERA program when you arrive.