This past summer, I was fortunate enough to land a development internship at a film production company called Eclectic Pictures. Based out of West Hollywood, Eclectic Pictures has been producing films since 2004 such as Olympus Has Fallen, London Has Fallen, and Lovelace. At this company, I was able to work under the guidance of an accomplished film producer, Heidi Jo Markel and her team of executives. Going into this, I had no idea what a production company did or the process that went into making films which quickly made this internship a maturing and strenuous experience.

Every day was something new. I didn’t know what I would be doing or who I would be talking to as there was a lot of moving parts and tasks that needed to be accomplished. My tasks varied from script reading to contacting talent agencies to drafting contracts for potential script pick-ups. Even though every day was unpredictable, it was always fun as the high paced environment made everyone work at a higher level while also creating a chemistry I had never experienced before. There were a number of duties I could always count on being assigned to such as creating role sheets for potential parts in films, script and film drive deliveries to studios, researching potential shooting locations and helping to create one-sheets for upcoming films.  Looking back on my internship I learned a lot of what goes on behind the scenes leading up to a films’ release and the patience that a team requires to make a project, I am grateful for the experience because my supervisor allowed me to be “hands-on” and learn about the various aspects of the industry during my time there. 

At Eclectic Pictures, my laptop was the most used and important tool. Everything related to Eclectic was done online. IMDB is an essential tool as I used it to make casting lists, research actors and films.

Being lucky enough to intern at Eclectic is something I will always be thankful for, and an experience that made my summer great. Not only did I learn more about the process it takes to get a film made but I also made strides with my work and study ethic. Hopefully I can put that to use this upcoming semester at Chapman. Eclectic provided me with a fully immersive internship that I will remember for the rest of my life and I hope one day, I can return the favor by being as resourceful and helpful to aspiring interns as well.