Throughout this past summer, I was fortunate enough to be chosen as an intern with GameTime Footage, a sports media company specializing in collegiate lacrosse recruitment assistance.  Our goal at GameTime Footage is to aid high school hopefuls in their dream of getting recruited to play collegiate lacrosse. The recruiting process is stressful and complicated, and prospective college athletes often lack a clear roadmap to guide them through it. Aggregating and editing compelling highlight footage of individual athletes is one of the most critical components of successful recruitment, but athletes often have to rely on their parents to film them, and then learn to edit the footage themselves. At GameTime Footage, we travel across the country to different high school lacrosse showcase events, where we film a variety of games and teams. We then compile and meticulously edit our footage, culminating in professional, enticing highlight tapes for each individual athlete to send to college coaches. With the help of GameTime Footage, hundreds of student-athletes realize their dreams and move on to the collegiate level.

As a video-heavy multimedia company, one of GameTime Footage’s main platforms for advertising is social media. As an intern, I managed the GameTime Footage social media presence, ultimately assisting with the company’s advertising and marketing via Instagram. One of my primary tasks was to sift through hours of raw game footage to find the best of the best lacrosse plays (whether it be a kid breaking someone’s ankles or a big hit or someone stinging a corner) then edit these down into easily-consumable, engaging clips for our target audiences on social media – a process which included finding and adding relevant soundtrack, working with Final Cut Pro, and releasing the final product at the most optimal time. These short video clips reached an audience of roughly seventy thousand people.  And, thanks to my work this summer, this number is still increasing.  With such a high learning curve as an intern, I became proficient in video editing on professional software and gained a more comprehensive knowledge of branding, marketing, and crafting content that appeals to audiences of varying degrees of relevance (in our case, from college coaches, to student athletes, to lacrosse fans and sports fans in general).

Working remotely was one of the more difficult things I experienced at GameTime Footage, but we found a way to make it work.  This location flexibility was a luxury but also sometimes a hindrance.  I was lucky enough to be able to travel back home to the Bay Area and spend time with my family, but not being physically present at GameTime Footage headquarters – located in Torrance, CA – obviously presented some challenges. Bridging the location gap required a constant stream of communication facilitated through texts, phone calls, email, and FaceTime, which ultimately taught me the importance of effective communication. As remote workers become more and more common, the ability to remain an efficient, valuable, and in-the-loop remote employee is an important skill, so I’m particularly grateful for this aspect of my summer experience.  Easily one of the best parts about working remotely was being able to have my little dog around all day while I worked.  Some canine companionship can go a long way with general workplace moral!

Along with working with great people, I was blessed to have learned a lot about the workplace in general, project delivery, and video media with my time at GameTime Footage. Along with becoming proficient at video editing and social media marketing, I also gained some valuable insight into general company workflow and how to stick to a production schedule.