I spent the summer working for a talent management company called the Untitled Entertainment Company, which is a play on words from how movies and tv shows are titled before they are given a name.

To be honest, I had no idea what I wanted to do when I first graduated high school. I had a feeling that I wanted to work in entertainment but, coming from Texas, it seemed like an intangible career path. Not necessarily seeing the value of a film school degree, I decided to study communication because of its versatility and potential application within the field. Now, 2 years later, I am undoubtedly seeing the benefits.

My internship is  with a talent management company called Untitled Entertainment. For those of you that don’t know what working in talent management entails, it’s essentially overseeing every aspect of an artist’s career and leveraging into something of higher value. We specifically deal with actors, writers, and directors and, in a lot of ways, are the hub of the wheel when it comes to projects and negotiations within the industry. All fanciness aside, the talent management is ultimately the service industry and this internship has taught me great interpersonal skills for keeping my bosses and their clients happy.

As someone who wants to be a representative upon graduation, working at a place like Untitled, a company with over 800 clients ranging from celebrities to newcomers, was almost like a dream come true to me. While I have learned an abundance through the hands-on experiences that include covering scripts (which is basically reading an incoming script of fully funded movies and shows and recommending it to a client), rolling calls, and pitching clients for specific parts, perhaps the most important piece of information thus far was advice that I received from one of my bosses. During a lunch that we had together during my first few weeks, a comment he made resonated with me, “it’s easy to stand out when everyone’s trying to be invisible.” This struck me on a myriad of levels. On one hand, it speaks to the concept of point of view, which is one of the most important qualities to develop for a career in entertainment. People respect someone with a point of view and, more importantly, someone who is fearless in that point of view while also realizing that it might not be for everyone. Most importantly, it speaks to the importance of putting yourself out there and being self-assured, knowing that this will expose you to both successes and failures.

Working in New York this summer provided an awesome opportunity to network with other young professionals in entertainment – including fun events like a Met’s game!

Tying this into the study of communication,  my education at Chapman has helped me succeed here at Untitled. My knowledge of communication and understanding of persuasion theories have allowed me to solidify an amazing work network within my preferred industry which is probably my most important asset. While getting to know the other assistants, recent graduates, and senior partners of the company will be a tremendous help down the road, hearing each of their stories also taught me a great amount about what it takes to move forward and be successful in this business.

In short, this internship has been a fantastic experience and my studies of communication have

It also gave me a great opportunity to do some exploring of the city on my own, finding some really cool spots like this getaway in Central Park!

only helped prepare me for my future career. While there is certainly room for me to improve, I am excited to continue the momentum that I have built thus far. I have already learned so much that will undoubtedly be a helpful foundation to my career. I am excited to build on it, and like my boss said, stand out.