Hi everyone!  My name is Lauren McClendon and I am a senior Strategic and Corporate Communication major here at Chapman.  When I first came to Chapman, I was an undeclared and confused little freshman that had no idea of what I wanted to do with my life.  I was choosing between majoring in Business Administration and Communication Studies, and was having a very hard time deciding between the two since they each had aspects that I liked.  During my first semester, I discovered that Chapman had the Strategic and Corporate Communication major, and was so excited to find out that there was a major that had elements of both communication and business!

The view from one of our properties in Corona del Mar.

Growing up, I was always fascinated by houses and by everything that went into buying and selling a home.  I have always been obsessed with HGTV and shows like House Hunters and Million Dollar Listing.  Real estate has been a career path that interested me, but I was never sure how to get my foot in the door.  Luxury real estate is an especially difficult market to get into and to be successful in. Luckily, Dr. Andrea Weber reached out to me during the time that I was in her senior seminar class, and told me about an opportunity she had heard of with a luxury real estate agency in Corona del Mar.  She connected me with an agent at the agency and after meeting with the team, I was asked to be an intern. For the past four months I have been interning at VALIA Properties in Corona del Mar and have loved every second of it.

As an intern, I have been able to attend a listing release event as well as broker previews, where I have been able to see some amazing properties in Corona del Mar.  I also help the marketing team with the design of brochures, letterhead, business cards, and more. A project that I took on for the company was to find a way to send articles that our clients would be interested in to our agents’ email addresses.  Once one of our agents receives an article via email, they can then send the link to their client to let them know they are thinking of them and to strengthen their relationship!

A peek into our office.

Having this internship has confirmed that real estate is the career path for me.  I am currently in the process of getting my real estate license, and I cannot wait to see where it takes me.  I am so incredibly grateful for the experience I’ve had at VALIA Properties, and look forward to what’s in store during the remaining two months of my internship.