This past semester I had the amazing opportunity to be a marketing intern at 31 Bits, a company based in Costa Mesa that is dedicated to fashion for good. 31 Bits works with artisans in Uganda and Indonesia to create unique jewelry pieces, handbags and home goods that are ethically made. Artisans are provided with fair wages, access to a global market and ethical working conditions. 31 Bits also strives to provide holistic care and a family atmosphere where each artisan feels known and supported, so that when they leave 31 Bits they feel empowered with the skills and confidence to create businesses of their own.

Set up at the Mother’s Day Pop Up Shop

As a marketing intern at 31 Bits, I was able to get hands-on experience in a career setting. Being able to utilize skills that I had been learning in the classroom and bringing them into marketing projects for 31 Bits was an invaluable experience. As an upcoming graduate, my experience at 31 Bits has given me confidence in my ability to transition from the classroom to a career setting. During my time at 31 Bits I had the opportunity to jump-in to a lot of different and exciting projects. I was able to see first-hand how a marketing strategy operates for an ethical fashion company by working on marketing campaigns for International Women’s Day and Mother’s Day. For these campaigns I did outreach for possible influencers and press; brainstormed creative ideas for marketing strategy; participated in pop-up shop events; and created content for blog posts, product descriptions and an online jewelry finder quiz. I was even able to attend the photoshoot for the International Women’s Day Campaign, which really helped me see how all aspects of an effective marketing campaign come together. The ability to work on so many different things allowed me to explore different aspects of marketing and public relations, and figure out what I really enjoy.

Interning at 31 Bits truly helped me hone in on what I want to do after graduation. I was able to gain real-world experience in two things I am passionate about, marketing and ethical fashion. Getting to utilize skills that I had learned in the classroom helped me understand my strengths as a professional, and gave me an idea of where I would like to see my skills set further develop. It was such a rewarding experience to see work I had done come to life in a tangible way. I not only got an amazing career experience but also had fun along the way, it was so exciting to be able to work at a company with such a close-knit team, that encourages creativity and has an inspiring mission.