Greetings from Retirementland!

Well, I guess I’m not a Student Guest Blogger—more like Retired Faculty Guest Blogger.  As some of you may know, I taught in the School of Communication before it was the School of Communication.  I was an Assistant Professor.  For 25 years, I shared my belief that learning how to communicate powerfully and productively were the most important skills any person could have.  Yes, it’s true that communication is innate in humans, but it is also a skill that can be learned and improved.  And I still believe that the future belongs to those who know how to communicate.

Enough sermonizing.  I’ve been retired for more than 3 years, and I must say it  has been a most enlightening experience—like visiting a foreign country.  I felt like a stranger at first, but then I learned the language, the mores, the norms.  The first year I literally did nothing—catching my breath after a lifetime of work.  The second year—well—that’s when the old desire to communicate kicked in.  I sang (and still sing) in a doo-wop group (The Expectations)—and I co-wrote a cabaret, “Kvetch-22,” which, as they say in show business, seems to “have legs.” We’re putting it on at Upstairs at Vitellos’s, a club in the San Fernando Valley on Oct. 14.

Needless to say, I’m having fun, and stretching my communication and creative muscles.  When you write something, as a former student of mine has written in this blog space, you want to communicate not only the sweetness and fun in the show itself, but the joy you felt in writing it.  Yes!

Speaking of writing, please feel free to reach out if you have questions about the show or just want to say hello! You can reach me via e-mail at allenlevy4@gmail.com. I’d love to hear from former students and colleagues and I’d especially love to see you at the show on October 14th!

My experience at Chapman was great—your experience at Chapman will be great.  To use one of my favorite slogans (I love slogans!)—Don’t Hesitate, Communicate!

Kvetch Flyer