I am so thankful to have found this internship with Phoenix Star Insurance. The world of Medicare health Insurance certainly does not sound glamorous, however, I learned so much and have gained a whole new level of empathy for seniors. The knowledge gained during my time at Chapman as a Communication major came into practice throughout my internship. I was thrown into a position where I had to display my public speaking and build on my ability to speak clearly. At first it was terrifying, but then it became natural. I had to force myself to face my biggest fear, and the result was freeing. I learned how to present and connect with a big audience 3 days out of the week for 3 months. Not only were my public speaking skills put the test, but my interpersonal communication was also practiced.

Through my constant interaction with sales agents and shadowing during in home appointments, I learned how to create rapport through different cultures. I especially enjoyed seeing the differences and similarities in each in home appointment. I learned that we are all not that different from one another. We all get sick and need health insurance!

My favorite part of this internship was being able to connect and engage with seniors inside and outside my community. I will admit, before entering this internship I never had a conversation with anyone over the age of 50. For example, there was this in-home appointment we had in Westminster. This 94 year old woman whom I later befriended had an amazing life! It was surprising for me to learn that there were parts in her life that I really related to. We both have an appetite for adrenaline rushes through skydiving and hiking. Although, she does not do much of jumping off airplanes now. We talk on the phone at least once a week and I make it a point to visit her every 2 weeks. I plan on continuing my work with Phoenix Star!