I had been looking for an internship in the music industry for over two years when I stumbled upon Crowd Surf through a Facebook listing for an internship position. The specifics were that the posting was for a digital marketing company and loving boy bands was a bonus. Having been fascinated with how bands are marketed due to my many years as a fan of music and boy bands myself (One Direction, anyone?), my interest was piqued and I sent an email detailing my qualifications for the position. A few weeks and a phone interview later, I got the position in their Hollywood office.

To give an idea of what Crowd Surf does, they focus on marketing, branding, development, and digital interactions for music artists and their fans. Working on the boy band team meant I got to work on projects for the likes of Why Don’t We and New Kids on the Block, to name a few, which was exciting because already being a fan of them helped me see what else made them successful aside from their many talents. On a weekly basis, I would track the social media growth of all the artists a part of our group on a Google spreadsheet and would be able to see how the numbers increased or decreased on various platforms depending on certain releases, events, or posts that happened that week. (PSA nostalgia pictures are always a hit.) I also learned how to write copy for certain artists’ posts, adapt video clips for different platforms, and come up with new ideas for content. Things were always changing like they often do in this industry, and even if my copy needed to be changed or ideas weren’t used, the team expressed appreciation for my help and were open to anything I wanted to contribute.

I started to be given more responsibility, like helping run some of our clients’ social accounts, gather and engage with client-related content, create YouTube thumbnails, and create reports. Through this, I learned how to edit pictures and videos, understand what their artists’ teams want to see, and how to get the fans involved with some of their favorite artists to help establish a loyal fanbase.

Through it all, I was able to get a glimpse into what it takes to get an artist’s name out into such a competitive field and help them succeed with the many tools and wonders that social media now offers with their analytics and accessibility to fans. I learned how to use spreadsheets, editing software, like iMovie, VideoPad, and Canva, the analytic programs on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, and how to write effective copy, among other skills I sharpened in the process. It greatly increased my interest, knowledge, and respect for those who work behind-the-scenes for the artists because music would be a much more difficult place to break into without people like them.