Hello! My name is Diego Velez and I have the best major in the world. You guessed it! It is Strategic and Corporate Communication. Before I talk about my wonderful experience here at Chapman University, let me tell you how I got to this point. I am from a city close by, Huntington Beach. I was born and raised in Huntington Beach, “Surf City USA” and yes, I totally shred the gnar during my off time. I’m just kidding, I actually do not know how to surf. Growing up was full of other activities like baseball and football. Eventually, I would attend Edison High School where I played football for 4 years. At the end of my senior year at Edison, I knew I belonged at Chapman. I applied and got DENIED! So fast forward a little bit, after a year of going to community college I finally got into my dream school.

When I got here, I had no idea what I wanted to major in so I took all kinds of classes my first semester here. I took classes in religion, kinesiology, anthropology, and other random subjects. Luckily, some of those classes counted as GE’s. Then someone told me about SCC and I was immediately sold. The thing that attracted me most about SCC the most was its well-roundedness. With this major, I get to learn about business, econ, marketing, communication, research methods and much more. This also gives me a lot of flexibility with my job search which I love today. While choosing my major I decided that a Leadership minor would be a good fit alongside my major. It has taught me thus far how to become an effective leader. I would highly recommend the leadership minor to everybody.

I also got the opportunity to play football with some of the greatest guys that I have ever met at Chapman. They pushed me to become the best version of myself and we were able to win a SCIAC Championship during my senior year. Being a student-athlete at Chapman University definitely has its perks and I would recommend that everyone plays a sport in college if they get the chance to because employers love it.

Fast forwarding to my junior year spring, I became the ambassador of a program called Playbook for Life alongside Diano (who also posted a blog). We were able to help grow the program two-fold. Playbook for life is a 16-week networking program that helps students touch up on interview skills, networking, dining etiquette, and many other things. This ended up paying off big time because it helped me land my internship at Enterprise Rent-a-Car. I ended up interning at Enterprise for nine months and now I am part of the Communication Advisory Board! The main reason why I decided that I wanted to become part of this board is that I want to help others. There was a point when I felt like I was completely lost and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my education (shout out to Travis Bartosh for getting me through those situations). I want to be a resource that can help others when they feel like they are stuck. So if you feel stuck, need help with a job search, resume, or any weird questions just email me (velez115@mail.chapman.edu).