This semester, I had the opportunity to take on the role of an editorial intern at Locale Magazine, a lifestyle magazine based in Costa Mesa. The magazine publishes content both online and in print, and covers all things related to fashion, food, travel, entertainment, and shopping in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Greater Palm Springs.

Since Locale is a small, private organization, I was able to work directly with the editorial team to learn the ins and outs of magazine content creation, publishing, and coordinating with sources and partners. My assignments typically included writing 1-2 stories per week, compiling calendar lists of local events for readers to attend, and communicating with the magazine’s partners and various local businesses to request high-quality images for publication. In all of my assigned tasks, I was required to adhere to the magazine’s specific tone and to follow AP Style.

As a Southern California native, I enjoyed having the opportunity to share some of my local knowledge with readers. My favorite story that I wrote for Locale was about businesses to support on Small Business Saturday. I loved writing this story because it allowed me to give coverage to some of my favorite small businesses.

About halfway through my internship, I assisted with preparing for and hosting Power Up, an all-day women’s conference event created by Locale. The conference, which was held at the Marriott Irvine Spectrum, featured over 40 speakers including female CEOs and founders of successful local businesses and attracted nearly 500 attendees. In addition to helping the team set up for the event, I was responsible for checking each guest in, and providing them with information about the speakers and schedule. This was my first experience working an event of this size, and while I felt out of my comfort zone, I found it to be rewarding.

During my internship, I utilized many of the skills that I developed by taking communication studies courses at Chapman. This major has taught me about how to effectively work with a team, how to improve my writing and speaking skills, and has helped me learn to stay organized. At Locale, I was able to build on those skills as well as develop new skills. Like most publications, Locale works under strict deadlines. Because of this, one of the most valuable skills that I took away from this internship is efficiency. In order to complete my assignments on time, I had to learn to be efficient by managing my time effectively. In addition, I became more accustomed to a work environment, and I experienced firsthand what it would be like to work in a professional setting after graduating. I was also able to build a portfolio of published work that I am proud of, and that I will use to complement my resume when applying for positions in the future.