Announced on November 21, 2017
From the editor: Below is an important message from Chapman’s Office of Parking and Transportation Services. A must read for those who commute to school by vehicle.
These are exciting times at Chapman University. The University has received approval from the City of Orange to begin construction of a new state-of-the-art residential facility on what is currently the Villa Park Orchard (VPO) Parking Lot on the corner of Cypress and Palm. Construction is due to begin on December 16, 2017. The Cypress Parking Lot at Sycamore and Cypress will be closed for general use and used for construction parking and staging.
With the excitement comes the challenge of meeting parking demand during the spring 2018 semester. The Lastinger Parking Structure Extension of 344 parking spaces will come on-line for fall 2018. Therefore, the residential construction project will only impact parking during the spring semester. To compensate for the loss of the 190 spaces, the following parking locations will be available for use:
- Jim Miller Structure – Top Level. 100 spaces will continue to be available Monday – Friday, 7AM – 10PM for overflow parking. These spaces were made available for overflow parking during the fall. The top level will be overflow parking for commuter, adjunct faculty, faculty and staff permit holders. Access to the structure is on Grand St. and it is a short walk to the core of campus.
- First Christian Church Parking Lot – 1130 E. Walnut. We are leasing 100 spaces in this lot Monday – Friday, 7AM – 6PM. The first 100 people opting to exchange their current parking permit for a First Christian Church Parking Permit will receive a full refund for any fees paid for a 2017/18 parking permit and will be able to park for free through August 10, 2018. A First Christian Church Parking permit will be restricted to the First Christian Church Lot Monday – Thursday, 7AM – 4PM, but would be valid in Commuter, faculty or staff parking areas after 4PM Monday – Thursday, and all day Fridays through Sundays. The Parking Shuttles will service this parking lot Monday – Friday, 7AM – 5:30 PM.
- The parking fee will be refunded in December in the following ways depending on method of original payment:
- A credit to your student account
- A refund issued via bi-weekly/monthly payroll check
- A check, for those who paid in full at the beginning of the year
- Registration for a First Christian Church Parking Permit will open on November 27, 2017 at 9AM and is available to the first 100 who register. To request this permit type log into the Vehicle Registration System at chapman.edu/vr; It will not show as an option until 9AM on November 27th. Those successfully registering will be sent e-mail instructions on how to exchange the current decal for the new one.
If you have questions regarding this matter please feel free to contact Parking & Transportation Services at email@example.com. Please know that parking personnel will continually monitor the parking situation during the spring semester to see if any modifications or additional contingency plans are necessary. We appreciate your patience as the University continues to improve facilities for our students.