Students with instruments

Tune in: Wimberley siblings featured on KTLA Wimberley siblings prepare for their next big gig: degree conferral

The family that plays music together, graduates together. That might not be exactly how the old idiom goes, but in the case of the Wimberley brothers and sister, it rings true.

student interviewed on campus

Mark Wimberley ’16 gets his solo interview during the KTLA filming on campus.

The siblings, who make up the Wimberley Bluegrass Band — Danielle ’16, mandolin, business administration, twins Mark ’16 guitar, communication studies, and James ’16, banjo, math, and Michael ’16, fiddle, trategic and corporate communication — will all receive their degrees next week, their biggest gig yet, with each of them on a separate stage.

Last  week they were featured on
KTLA
 because of their simultaneous graduation act combined with the fact that they range in age from 22 to 17.

“We were so glad to be able to tell our story on KTLA the other evening. We got to share about the things that things that bring us joy: family, bluegrass music, and Chapman University,” said Danielle. “These last two years have been so wonderful and I’m so proud to have attended such a highly acclaimed and beautiful university.”

The siblings all ended up as Panthers after Danielle had been accepted to Chapman and her brothers decided they would keep the Wimberley pack together and follow suit.

Now, just a few credits-packed years later they remain “in-time” with each other but told KTLA they have no plans to go their separate ways.

students watch an interview

Danielle and Mark look on as James is interviewed by KTLA.

“It was definitely a thrill to be interviewed for KTLA,” said Mark. “I feel so honored to be able to graduate with my siblings, who I consider to be my best friends, and to share our story with others.”

James echoed similar sentiments.

“Although I have enjoyed my Chapman experience, I am excited for my graduation. Getting the chance to do this with my siblings is an honor,” he said.

The unexpected graduation boost from KTLA was something each of the siblings expressed excitement over, but the attention still seems to pale in comparison to the actuality of graduation itself.

“It’s always a joy to get to make music and share it with others, and filming this spot for KTLA was a fun way to get to do that,” said Michael. “As graduation comes up, it’s definitely an exciting time. It’s a little hard to believe that it’s here already, but my time at Chapman has been so fantastic that I’m really looking forward to completing this goal. I’m excited to see what the future holds as a Chapman alumnus.”

Good job and good luck Wimberleys!

Brittany Hanson

Brittany Hanson

Add comment

Your Header Sidebar area is currently empty. Hurry up and add some widgets.