Taylor Lee Patti ’17, a triple major graduating with degrees in Spanish, mathematics and physics and computational science, has been named Chapman University’s 2017 Cheverton Award winner.
Patti was presented with the award at the 2017 Campus Leadership Awards held Friday, May 5, in the Fish Interfaith Center.
Patti will begin a Ph.D. program in theoretical physics at Harvard University this summer. She later plans to secure a research position as a faculty member at a university. She says that before enrolling at Chapman, she didn’t know what physics was and thought she hated math. She credits the “agglomeration” of her Chapman experience with supporting an exploration that led her to love theoretical physics.
One of the oldest awards presented by Chapman, the Cheverton Award was established in 1929. The original bronze cup awarded to recipients was a gift of the Class of 1929 and remains on exhibit in Argyros Forum on campus, along with its successor, a silver bowl. Engraved on the trophies are the names of all Cheverton winners since 1929.
Other leadership awards went to:
- Ronald M. Huntington Outstanding Scholarship Award: Taryn Miyake
- Outstanding Diversity Leadership Award: Leon Dominguez-Lukic
- Paul S. Delp Outstanding Service Award: Ellie Neilson
- Gloria and Julian Peterson Award: Sara Wanous
Outstanding Student Organization Awards included:
- Outstanding Academic or Honor Society Student Organization: Alpha Kappa Psi
- Outstanding Civic Engagement Student Organization: B+ Foundation
- Outstanding Diversity/Cultural Student Organization: Asian Pacific Student Association
- Outstanding Leisure or Recreation Student Organization: The Players’ Society
- Outstanding Religious/Spiritual Student Organization: Hillel
Outstanding Seniors Awards
Tessa Oliaro, Leah Thomas, Annabell Liao, Alex Himstead, Lotus Thai, Tonicia Williams, Kyvan Elep, Becca Batkin, Daryl Ying Zhao, Sam Schlernitzauer, Jamie Moseley, Marco Saglimbeni, Sonia Djafri, Adlai Nissen and Tori Edgar.
Outstanding Junior Awards
AJ Silva, Alyssa Nowlen, Brittney Souza, David Mandel, Emily Hanna, Kevin Leake, Madison Dewey, Nilsha Khurana, Rob Nelsen and Sarah LeMay.
Outstanding Sophomore Awards
Arianna Ngnomire, Bobby Cary, Carrie Smith, Jessie Juarez, Lauren Elizabeth Friend, Dory Ann Carter, Natalie Lund, Sneh Chawla, Talia Cain and Vidal Arroyo.
Outstanding First Year Awards
Alison Lee, Avery Claire Bennett, Crosby Tinucci, Daniel Espiritu, Ivan Penate, Jade Geiger, Malia Studt, Matthew Ghan, Melissa Coyle and Tommy Sherk.
Display image at top/ From left, Robert Julius Schumaker, Jonathan Daniel Mackris, Taylor Lee Patti, Katie Jeanne Kendrick and Caroline Ashraf Aziz. Not pictured is Jordan Ott. Photo/ Nathan Worden ’13 (MBA ’15)