Since going fully remote back in March, we have all had it happen to us at one time or another. Background noise from a barking dog, other nearby conversations, shuffling papers, or even the neighbor’s leaf blower making its way into our online meetings or phone calls. Well we have great news! Teams is now giving users the ability to control background noise settings by introducing a noise cancellation tool in the user’s device settings within Teams.
From the main Teams window
- Select your profile picture at the top right of Teams and then select Settings.
- Select Devices on the left and then, under Noise suppression, select an option.
- Auto (default) The Teams app decides on the best level of noise suppression based on local noise.
- Low Suppresses low levels of persistent background noise, such as a computer fan or air conditioner. Use this setting for playing music.
- High Suppresses all background sound that isn’t speech.
- Off Noise suppression is disabled. Use this setting for high-fidelity microphones in low noise environments.
From a meeting window
- Select More options in your meeting controls and then select Device settings.
- Under Noise suppression, select an option. (See step 2 above for option descriptions.)