Chapman President Daniele C. Struppa shared the following message with the campus community on Friday, April 17.

Today, I am happy to announce that we have signed an agreement with the City of Orange to provide housing to first responders to self-isolate in Chapman apartments. As a member of the Orange community, it’s our honor to do what we can to support them while they are putting themselves at risk for us every day.  We have allocated 20 units in the currently vacant Panther Village to provide private rooms with kitchens for those potentially exposed to COVID-19. They are forced to be away from their loved ones while on the front line in Orange, so our hope is that we can keep them safe and comfortable while they need to self-isolate.

During times of crisis, universities can and should play a critical role in both managing the crisis and recovering from it. I am seeing countless ways the Chapman faculty and staff are reaching out and making an impact. Today’s story in our newsroom highlights only a few of the initiatives making a difference in our region.

Friday Update, April 17, 2020

• If any faculty, staff or administrators have received a confirmed diagnosis, please contact Director of Student Health Center Jacqueline Deats, at (714) 997-6851, deats@chapman.edu.
  • As you likely saw this week, we have shifted the focus for the upcoming Giving Day to raise funds for students and families in crisis due to the severe impact COVID-19 is having on the economy. The actual date for Giving Day is April 28th, but by simply announcing it’s coming we have already received almost $30,000 on the website. In addition, Chairman Aiken has challenged the entire board to participate in Giving Day and to pledge their support to the institution, and I am happy to announce that within the first 24-hours, the members of our Board of Trustees have already committed close to $200,000. I am deeply moved by the support and generosity of our Chapman community during this historically challenging time and know this will allow more students to return to school in the fall. 
  • We continue to get questions on the status of summer courses. Provost Pfeiffer has announced that summer terms on the Orange Campus and the summer trimester for Rinker Campus programs will begin with remote instruction. Please help communicate this as needed.
  • I hope many of you had an opportunity to tune in for the Faculty Town Hall that was held today on the challenges and successes of remote teaching. While I was only able to be connected for thirty minutes, I was incredibly impressed by what our faculty presenters shared, and the way in which the community, once again, is coming together in the spirit of learning. I hope there will be more Town Halls like this, and if so, I hope you are able to find the time to participate.
  • In the spirit of community support, the University will share some of our endeavors in a Community Impact Forum with the City of Orange Mayor on April 24, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. Panelists for the town hall style discussion will include myself, City of Orange Mayor Mark Murphy, Vice President for Research Tom Piechota, Vice President of Community Relations Jack Raubolt, Dean of Crean College of Health and Behavioral Sciences Janeen Hill and Dean of Fowler School of Engineering Andrew Lyon. Vice President of Campus Planning Collette Creppell will moderate. You can access the Town Hall here.
  • The Argyros School of Business and Economics is hosting a webinar on Monday, April 20th at 3:00 pm PST. Focusing on the impact of COVID-19 on the markets, medicine and economy the panel will feature Professor, Argyros School of Business and President Emeritus Dr. Jim Doti, Associate Professor and Director, C. Larry Hoag Center for Real Estate & Finance Fadel Lawandy, Former CEO, St. Joseph Hoag Health and President & Board Chair, MindOC/BeWell Orange Dr. Richard Afable, Chief Operating Officer US Commercial Markets, CIGNA Chris De Rosa, Founder and CIO, LongTail Alpha and Former Managing Director and Head of Quantitative Portfolios, PIMCO Vineer Bhansali, Ph.D. You can access the webinar here.
  • I am happy to report that the Farmers Market that takes place in the parking lot of Chapman’s Becket Building will be reopening this Saturday, April 18th. Orange Home Grown has been reviewing State and County guidelines to create a safe shopping experience for customers, vendors, staff, and volunteers and will be hosting a smaller version of the weekly farmers market. They have posted guidelines on their website if you choose to attend and support our local vendors.

• For all those who want to provide updates to campus as you either continue your daily business or you have resources, news or announcements regarding our current remote situation, please submit requests to be included in Working@Chapman.
  • I encourage you to stay involved in the ongoing Working Remote series being presented by Human Resources in partnership with IS&T and Fish Interfaith Center. To see a full list of programs, please visit the Working Remote website 

With all that is going on, I hope you take a moment to read this week’s reflection from Fish Interfaith Center Dean of the Chapel Gail Stearns.   

As we head into another socially distanced weekend, I want to share my most recent episode of “Socially Distanced Daniele”—a bonus edition showcasing a live version of the Chapman tradition to share a drink recipe (with a cameo from my daughter). I hope you have a great weekend.