Intern Spotlight: Darby Brown

Career Development Center

Name: Darby Brown

Year and major: Senior television and broadcast journalism major

Current internship title: production intern at ESPN 

Previous internships: production intern at Orange County Blues, investigative news intern for CBS Los Angeles, production assistant at Fox Soccer, evening news intern at KNBC

Describe your daily schedule.

I worked on SportsCenter which aired at 10 p.m. every night. In the morning, we’d have a production meeting and I would bring new ideas. A lot of the time my ideas would be from social media and after the meeting, we would go back and see what had been assigned to us. Sometimes I worked on 10 Top Plays of the day, so I would go and find those clips. Some days I would work on daily assignments such as post game sounds, sometimes I would cut different montages from a game and some music. We do a lot of content for the show video wise. 

How has this internship been different from your previous experiences?

It was extremely hands-on, I was basically doing everything. They expected you to know what you were doing right off the bat. I had maybe seven days of training and then I was already cutting elements for the show. It felt like a real job and that was beneficial for me.

What has been the most challenging part?

It’s live TV so you’re going to make some mistakes, so you want to keep them as minimum as you can. You’re going to be on a crunch, but you have to make the deadline and move on. That part was the most beneficial, too. 

What kind of advice do you have for someone who wants to land a similar internship to yours?

Don’t be afraid to apply for things. Don’t make yourself smaller than you are because there’s a chance you can make it happen. Don’t limit yourself. Be confident in your ability, you say yes and trust that you can make it happen.

Views
Search
Log In
Open Main Menu