California’s Gold Exhibit and Huell Howser Archives
The joy that the late TV legend Huell Howser shared with generations of Californians infuses a new permanent exhibit, sponsored by the Automobile Club of Southern California, housed in Chapman University’s Leatherby Libraries. The exhibit includes images, text, and artifacts, which outline Howser’s career and legacy in California.
Use our LibGuide to learn how to navigate and use the Huell Howser Archives’ resources.
The Video Archives
Did you know? The Huell Howser video archives is an online repository for Huell Howser’s programs. Learn how to find your favorite episodes here and visit the video archives by pressing the button below.
For users experiencing video player issues, this is caused by a web browser cache issue. Fixes for this issue includes using a different web browser, resetting browser cache, or using a private/incognito mode. Instructions on how to reset browser cache or use a private browser in the following links:
Resetting browser cache: https://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/719
Private browsing: https://balsamiq.com/support/faqs/privatebrowsing/
Please note: Chapman University and the Huell Howser Archives DO NOT produce, sell, or distribute physical and digital copies of the Huell Howser Video Archives. To view an episode, please visit the online video archives.
Plan Your Visit
Contact us for information regarding visiting the exhibit or conducting research in the archives. Currently we are only accepting walk-in visits for the exhibit (no need to schedule an appointment). These are self-guided tours of the exhibit. Staff are currently not available for guided tours. The exhibit space is small; about the size of one classroom. Due to the small size of the exhibit, most visits will take approximately 60-90 minutes. Research visits are by appointment and scheduled on a case-by-case basis.
Walk-in visit hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Archives Phone: (714) 532-7780
Archives Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For visitors to the exhibit and archives:
- ALL visitors must take the COVID-19 daily health screen test (found here) and show the results to security at the entrance of the Leatherby Libraries. The test results can be sent to one’s email and shown with an electric device or printed out on paper. If an individual has trouble accessing either option, please contact Archives staff to assist with this issue.
- Masks are no longer required to enter the exhibit, but are recommended. Those who are personally at high-risk, or in contact with high-risk individuals, or who are more comfortable wearing a mask should continue to do so.
- Total number of visitors inside the exhibit must not exceed 10 people at any given time, due to the small exhibit space.
Please visit CU Safely Back to stay up-to-date with Chapman University’s most current COVID-19 guidelines.
Exhibit and Archives Parking
For important information on parking, please visit Chapman University’s Visitor Parking. The following are campus parking locations. with varying availability throughout the day:
- Anderson Parking Structure – 300 E. Walnut Avenue — Limited Availability All Day
- Barrera Parking Structure – 200 W. Sycamore Avenue — Limited Availability All Day
- Cypress Lot – 400 N. Cypress — Available All Day
- Marion Knott Studios Lot – 283 N. Cypress Street — Available All Day
The Event Parking Map indicates parking locations in reference to the main campus grounds. The California’s Gold Exhibit and Huell Howser Archives are located in the Leatherby Libraries, south of the Anderson Parking Structure (marked “AN”).
As for street parking, streets adjacent to the campus are reserved for Orange resident-only permit parking. Chapman University parking permits do not allow street parking privileges. The city permitted blocks are marked with red and white signs. Curb-side parking is only allowed if the curb borders a university-owned building and it is not street-sweeping day.
For further information, please call Parking Services at (714) 997-6560, (714) 997-6543, or email email@example.com. If it is after hours or the weekend, please contact Public Safety Dispatch for assistance at (714) 997-6763.
Supporting California’s Gold
Huell Howser brought warmth and generosity into this world through his life and work, creating a legacy that will continue to delight and educate generations. To support the legacy of Huell Howser’s life and work, donations can be made to one of these two funds: California’s Gold Scholarship Endowment and California’s Gold Collection Endowment