Junior Bastien Headshot

This blog regularly profiles students at the Argyros School of Business and Economics. This week, we talk to Junior Bastien, who will graduate from Chapman’s Full Time MBA program in Spring 2013.

Name:

Junior Bastien

Graduating Year:

Spring 2013

Program:

FT MBA

Undergraduate Degree and Institution:

NYU – Media, Culture & Communication

Work Experience:

MTV Networks – News & Docs Production Management Intern
NBC – Oxygen Network Development Intern
KTLA 5 – News Entertainment Segment Intern
DreamWorks Animation –  
The Croods
Production Intern
Dick Clark Productions – Production Intern

Internship Experience Highlight:

My internship at Dick Clark Productions has afforded me the opportunity to be involved in several events. The first event was the Streamy Awards in Hollywood. I was responsible for seating/ticketing for our talent, guests, and celebrities like Larry King as well as seat filling and compiling winner packages. It was exciting to see how everything moved from the office to the actual live show in the Palladium. Recently, I attended the Academy of Country Music Awards (ACM Awards) in Las Vegas. The experience was phenomenal as it allowed me to get first-hand experience with the press and the red carpet, as well as the social media integration of the show through Instagram. Also working the ACM Awards was fellow MBA student and Dick Clark Productions intern,
David Ferialdi
. It is great to see how networked Chapman is; at Dick Clark alone there are about 4 Chapman interns including myself. Coincidentally, during my internship at KTLA, I met morning news anchor and fellow Chapman alum,
Chris Burrous
. I have met amazing and influential people through my internships! I am looking forward to graduating and using the tools and connections the MBA program has supplied me in order to have a successful career in production management.

Are you involved in any Chapman Activities/ Organizations (i.e., MBA Association)? If so, please describe your involvement?

Black Student Union is a great organization that embodies and promotes diversity on campus through discussion, events and awareness. It is a superb family environment that influences critical thinking and giving back on multiple levels.

What do you do for fun? What are Your Hobbies (On Campus, Off Campus):

I love being in the gym, working out, and swimming. I also enjoy mixing drinks as a bartender for private events. Lastly, I make it my hobby to encourage people to do positive things and to step out of their comfort zone.

Why did you choose the Argyros School of Business and Economics?

I chose the Argyros School of Business because I was intrigued by the variety of MBA courses that were offered as well as their opportunities for entrepreneurship.

Favorite course so far and why?

My favorite course has been Negotiations. The material was truly interesting as far as deep communications and interactions between people, which is what I studied in undergrad, but now on a business platform. It was great to witness the power of influence through group exercises and case studies. All-in-all I learned that every conversation can be a negotiation— I’m glad I took this class so I can always have an edge to gear things in my favor.

What are your favorite parts of the MBA experience so far and why?

The MBA experience at ASBE has been consistently surprising with their dedication towards improvement as an institution. ASBE strives to get accomplished speakers from a variety of industries. It also makes has strong ties to the entrepreneurship community. On that, I must say entrepreneurship was something completely unbeknownst to me before I came here to study at Chapman. Experiencing it with ASBE has really given it new life for me. An entrepreneur exists in everyone and it was great to see ASBE instill that while providing marvelous tools to aspire and achieve. It really is no joke when they say ASBE is the hub of entrepreneurship in OC and I would go as far to say business in general.  Lastly, what I appreciate most are the people, I haven’t met anyone yet that does not seem interested in helping me on my journey. Everyone is there for you to help you with both professional and friendly advice. The intimacy in the classrooms and the halls exudes a warmth that makes the school not only a great learning environment but a comfortable one which I feel provides the best room for growth.

What are your career goals and plans after ASBE?

After graduation I plan to continue working in entertainment with no options closed. I plan to work in television with prospects of producing, writing, hosting, and acting.

Favorite OC Restaurants:

Pei Wei – Tustin, Roscoe’s – Long Beach, Bruxie – Orange, Yum!

Favorite OC Spots:

Newport Beach is great especially for nightlife, Huntington Beach, Downtown Fullerton, Downtown Santa Ana

To learn more about the MBA program at Chapman’s Argyros School of Business and Economics, please visit our website.