Next week begins the bulk of our Orientation activities for new and returning Graduate students. Take a look at what’s going on!
Don’t forget, Chapman University hosts many campus-wide activities for all Chapman students. The schedules below are just for Dodge College Grad students, but you can find all of the lager campus-wide information here on the CU Orientation website.
* Please note that everyone does not have the same schedule. Some events, especially the evening events are attended by all members of the incoming class; but other events, such as boot camps, are attended by as few as fifteen students. Because you will be attending boot camps with the other students in your FTV 531 Production Workshop I class sections, it is not possible to switch the times you have been assigned for any of your events.
Monday, August 19
- 4:00 – 4:45 pm M.F.A. Conservatory Overview Seminar (Folino Theater)
Associate Dean Michael Kowalski and Film Division Chair Barbara Doyle will lead an overview of the Graduate Conservatory of Motion Pictures, discuss general principles of the program and conduct a brief Q&A.
- 4:45 – 5:30 pm Degree Meetings with Faculty
Immediately following the Conservatory Overview, students will be directed to breakout sessions by degree to discuss curriculum, coursework and expectations with faculty.
- 6:00 – 8:00 pm Welcome Mixer (Stage B)
Informal welcome for new MFA and MA students hosted by Associate Dean Michael Kowalski, Film Division Chair Barbara Doyle, and Production Manager Michele Kennedy. Light refreshments will be served and allow students a chance to meet one another.
Tuesday, August 20
- 9:00 am – 6:30 pm HD Boot Camp (Stage A / MKS 208, as assigned by sections)
Hands-on training and distribution of the HD cameras
- 12:00 – 2:30 pm International Student Orientation & Luncheon (Argyros Forum 201)
- 7:00 – 10:00 pm Dodge College Films Screened: Cycles and Thesis (Folino Theater)
Screening of past student films and Q&A with the filmmakers, hosted by Professor Andy Lane.
Wednesday, August 21
- 9:00 – 11:30 am Dodge College Production and Safety Orientation (Folino Theater)
An overview of the Chapman production process including safety policies and procedures, highlighting the Production Handbook and Safety Manual as well as general information about access to equipment, sound stages and post production facilities; led by Film Division Chair Barbara Doyle and Production Manager Michele Kennedy. You will be quizzed on your knowledge of the Production Handbook, Safety Orientation, Safety Manual and Safety Video.
- 1:00 – 2:30 pm HD Boot Camps Continue (as assigned by sections)
- 4:00 – 7:45 pm Chapman University Graduate Student Orientation (Sandhu Conference Center)
Dr. Richard Redding, Vice Chancellor for Graduate Orientation, will welcome students and introduce various speakers who will review graduate student life at Chapman University.
- 8:00 – 11:30 pm Wednesday Night Mixers
The evening will start with casual mixers for faculty and students within your area of study at a restaurant located near campus. Later in the night, everyone will then join together. Drinks and food will be at the student’s expense. Specific restaurant locations will be sent in a separate schedule.
- 8:00 – 9:30 Major-specific mixers
- 9:30 – 11:30 pm All Student/Faculty Mixer
Thursday, August 22
- 9:00 – 4:30 pm HD Boot Camps Continue (Stage A / MKS 208, as assigned by section)
- 6:30 – 9:30 pm Screening and Presentation (Folino Theater)
A humorous look at series television with the writer and producer of “The Cosby Show”, “Facts of Life”, and “Step by Step” – Dodge College faculty member Professor Ross Brown.
Friday, August 23
- 10:00 – 11:00 am Student Business Services Orientation (Folino Theater)
Doris Lynch, Director of Student Business Services and Becky Schlafer, Assistant Director of Student Business Services, will lead students through an orientation of services available.
- 11:00 – 12:00 pm Internship Orientation (Folino Theater)
Film Division Chair Barbara Doyle will discuss the basics of securing and making the most of internships, while current and former Dodge College students relay their first-hand experience.
- 5:30 – 6:00 pm Discipline Meetings with Faculty Mentors (Rooms TBD, Per Discipline Faculty)
Discipline specific gathering for students to meet with faculty mentors. At the end of the meeting, everyone will join the Welcome Party already in progress.
- 5:30 – 8:30 pm Welcome Party (Stage B)
Dean Bob Bassett will officially welcome the incoming graduate class and introduce key faculty and staff. A casual mixer for incoming graduate students will follow, also attended by faculty as well as continuing graduate students. Drinks and a buffet meal will be served.
There will also be Stage System and Scene Shop Workshops offered during Orientation Week as well as into the first couple weeks of school. These workshops familiarize students with the policies and procedures governing the use of our soundstages and scene shop. You may sign up for the Stage System and Scene Shop Workshops on the sign-up sheets outside the Scene Shop (MKS 125) for a time that does not conflict with any of your other scheduled events. After completing the workshop, you will be certified to use these valuable resources.
Take your time, get to know your new colleagues, and enjoy your first week here on campus!