You’re invited to join us for a free screening of the award-winning documentary Mamacita, currently screening at the Los Angeles Film Festival on Friday, September 21 at 7 p.m. in the screening room at Chapman Studios West. Director José Pablo Estrada Torrescano will introduce the film and participate in a Q and A with his former professor Pavel Jech, now chair of the Film Division. Reception with taco bar to follow. Seating is first come.
Mamacita is an extravagant Mexican beauty queen living in her own kingdom in company of her loyal servants: gardener, chauffeur, chef, housekeeper and nurses. The 95-year-old lady has turned her house into a castle, hiding the open wounds of a prominent Mexican upper class family behind its stone walls. When José Pablo went abroad to study film, Mamacita made him promise to return to Mexico one day to make a film about her life. He conquers his granny’s empire like a Trojan horse, discovering the haunted spirits of his own past and the lack of love that his entire clan has suffered from for generations.
– Hot Docs – April 2018, Canada (World Premiere)
– Dok.Fest Munich – May 2018, Germany
– Guanajuato International Film Festival – July 2018, Mexico
– PUCP Lima Film Festival – August 2018, Peru
– Monterrey International Film Festival – August 2018, Mexico
– Doqumenta – August 2018, Mexico
– Los Angeles Film Festival, September 2018, US (US Premiere)
– Margaret Mead Film Festival, New York, October 2018, US
– Zurich International Film Festival – October 2018 Switzerland (To Be Announced)
– Top Audience Pick of the “Made In” section @Hot Docs
– Opening Film @Guanajuato International Film Festival
– Opening Film @Doqument
All are welcome!