Ryan Murtha

I started making short sketches on his HD mini-DV camcorder while I was in his undergrad at the United States Naval Academy.  After graduation, I continued to make shorts and started to study improvisational comedy.  While on Active Duty with the Navy, I performed with various improv groups, plays, film productions, and produced multiple short documentaries about training in the Navy. When I am not busy studying or performing improv, I work for the Navy Reserves. My work has been selected to take part in Southeast New England Film, Music, & Arts Festival as well as Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival.

What is your name & what are you studying?
Graduate Film Production, Directing Emphasis.

What inspired you to pursue a career in film?
I chose film because of the ability to combine my creativity and love for working together with a team to create something that gets people out of their heads for a few minutes, and hopefully, inspires future generations.

What made you choose Dodge?
I chose Dodge because they were a hands on program where students are given the opportunity to actually make films. Many of the other colleges were more film studies based, and at the end of the day, being on set and working is the best way to learn.

What’s a project you’re most proud of that you worked on at Dodge?
My favorite project would be my sci-fi romantic comedy “Cheddar” where an alien crash lands and interrupts a proposal. My team and I knew it would be a challenge given we were doing night shoots, in the woods, and using a puppet, and it (in my opinion) turned out great, even with my editor and I doing visual effects from home given the pandemic.

If you could give any one piece of advice to your freshman self, what would it be?
Work hard, adapt, be yourself, and listen to those around you that you trust. Oh, and dare to fail. It’s okay to try something new and different and not succeed. One of the best ways to grow and learn is through honest failure.