What is your name & what are you studying?
My name is Apoorva Sankar, and I’m a Film Production major specializing in Film Editing.

What inspired you to pursue a career in film?
I used to write my own short stories and wanted to convey them visually. I began to shoot and edit my scripts and screened them for my close ones. I loved editing my visual storytelling on non-linear platforms, and that became my passion. That’s when I decided that I wanted to enter this industry to enhance my editing skills. 

What made you choose Dodge?
I chose Dodge as it offers a collaborative work culture with the other disciplines. I always wanted to experience the ups and downs in every department to make a story come alive on screen. 

What’s a project you’re most proud of that you worked on at Dodge?
Last year, I edited a documentary film, “Birds without Wings,” that became the Student Academy finalist. While editing this film, I found the process challenging and realized that non-scripted films have more to offer in the editing room. Our team worked together in this journey from sharing reference films, watching the dailies and the interviews, communicating with our professors and peers for narrative and visual perspectives. “Birds without Wings” has a fantastic festival run, and I’m incredibly proud to be a part of the post-production team. 

What is your favorite class at Dodge and why?
My favorite class was Narrative Strategies. This class has helped me to edit my movies better and also widened my film collection. I explored Indie cinema and analyzed films based on their narrative and visual significance.