The business-casual reception was an opportunity for alumnae to share career and life advice and for active members to develop new personal and professional connections. Many students wonder how to leverage their Greek experiences and showcase their leadership skills in the professional world. Alumnae have navigated these questions before and were able to offer active members insight on a variety of topics.
The most prominent takeaway: connections, connections and connections. Every question asked led back to the importance of personal and secondary connections. Relationships are the basis for the professional world (and one’s personal life) and once developed, can open doors to incredible opportunities.
One of my favorite quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson is: “Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him.” It was a wonderful outlet to share experiences as well as collaborate ideas about navigating the workplace. The experiences and bonds developed at Chapman long withstand my four years and for that I am appreciative.
Emily Spahn ’13, Alpha Gamma Delta alumna
Key Lessons Shared by Alumnae
- Research your position, company and interviewers.
- Draft a list of questions you anticipate they will ask of you and brainstorm some answers.
- Make the interview a conversation; stay away from scripted answers.
- Graduate Education
- If your desired career requires a graduate degree, go for it.
- If your desired career does not require a graduate degree, decide for yourself if pursuing one is a personal dream and if it makes sense for you financially.
- Personal Life and Professional Life
- Do what you feel is best for you and your family.
- Make sure your significant other is a partner. If one person in the relationship decides to be the primary breadwinner, make sure that the other person does something that is fulfilling for himself or herself.
- Be A Lifelong Learner
Thank you to everyone who attended the Panhellenic Networking Reception! We hope to host another reception in the near future. If you are a graduate and want to get involved in Greek Alumni Life, contact Jessica Price ’11, alumni engagement manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.