Backhausdance returns to the Chapman University campus this July/August for the 2014 Summer Intensives. In addition to the annual one or two-week
, geared toward dancers ages 16 to 24, we will offer a new four-day
geared toward younger dancers (ages 12 to 15). Once again, all programs will be housed in Chapman University’s state-of-the-art facilities in the
Partridge Dance Center
. We look forward to dancing with you this summer!
More information about the Summer Intensives is available on the
- Jennifer Backhaus – Artistic Director, Choreographer, Backhausdance, Instructor of Dance, Chapman (Chapman Alumni)
- Dale Merrill – Dean, College of the Performing Arts, Chapman University
- Maria Gillespie – Assistant Professor of Dance, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Artistic Director, Oni Dance
- Kim Olmos – Ballet Mistress, Backhausdance, Adjunct Dance Faculty, Chapman University
- Tawny Chapman – Backhausdance Company Dancer, Instructor of Dance Orange County High School for the Arts (Chapman Alumni)
- Jenn Bonfil – Backhausdance Company Dancer, Instructor of Dance, The Wooden Floor, Santa Ana (Chapman Alumni)
- Chihiro Sano – Backhausdance Company Dancer, Certified Yoga Instructor
- Kaitlin Regan – Backhausdance Company Dancer (Chapman Alumni)
- Kalynn Frome – Backhausdance Company Dancer, Certified Yoga Instructor
- Kathy Duran – Backhausdance Company Dancer
- Zak Ryan Schlegel – Backhausdance Company Dancer (Chapman Alumni)
- Joshua King – Backhausdance Company Dancer
ABOUT THE INTENSIVE
Pre-Professional Four-Day Program
(Ages 12 – 15)
This four-day program, designed for art-minded, pre-professional dancers working at a high intermediate to advanced level will culminate in an informal final showing of company repertory and phrasework. Tuition is $350/1 week, plus a $50 registration fee.
Advanced/Professional Program (Ages 16 – 24)
This one or two-week program is designed for advanced and collegiate level dancers who want to challenge themselves technically and grow as artists. Tuition is $700/2 weeks or $400/1 week, plus a $50 registration fee.
The 2014 intensive will culminate with a performance in the Partridge Dance Center, “
” held Friday, August 1, 2014 & Saturday, August 2, 2014. General Admission is $15 and tickets will be available July 1st.
is committed to educating the community about the relevance and vitality of concert dance, both a valuable art form and as a tool for learning. The company is dedicated to the creation, development, awareness and understanding of the art of contemporary dance. Dance is more than just steps or movement – its creation and perfection engages all learning modalities and encourages the integration of the mind, body and soul of the dancer. The company’s education programs reach students of all ages through our annual summer intensive, residency programs, master classes and more.