Chapman’s MS in Communication Sciences & Disorders (CSD) program has much to boast about these days. For the first time in the programs history, 14 students in the class of 2018 gained placement into top ranking medical practicum internships this summer and spring, including the highly coveted Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Hospital.

CSD students from all over Southern California face fierce competition for admittance into top ranking hospital internships. Students have to apply and get an interview along with dozens of other applicants.

Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Hospital has one of the best internship opportunities for CSD students in Southern California. This past summer, they had over 40 applicants from different universities and 14 were selected for interviews. All three from Chapman University were accepted. These students are Jeff Doberneck ’18, Amy Ganser ’18, and Albert Roman ’18.

Amy Ganser had this to say about the experience. “I had been looking forward to a medical placement since I started grad school so I was thrilled to accept an internship spot at Rancho! We had to submit two letters of recommendation along with our resume, letter of intent, completed coursework, and example of a client report we had written. In my interview, I was asked about my experience at Chapman’s [Adult] Learning Lab including treatment plans and the types of disorders I was exposed to. I was also asked about my experience working with culturally diverse populations. Rancho has an incredible reputation and I am so grateful to have the opportunity to learn there this summer.”

Alberto Roman had a similar experience. “The interview itself was intense, but that was to be expected. All you can do is put your best foot forward and be honest. In the end, I feel very honored to be among the first students from Chapman University to be selected for a graduate student internship position at Rancho Los Amigos.”

Eleven other students received medical practicum placements as well. We congratulate all of these students and the CSD department for this immense achievement.

Emily Byers – Saddleback Memorial Hospital

Andrea Hernandez – Saddleback Memorial Hospital

Gabriela O’Hanessian – Saddleback Memorial Hospital

Valentina Barrerra – CHOC

Olivia Feitshans – USC Caruso Family Center

Stefani Angelopoulos – St Jude Hospital

Amanda Antos – Miller Children’s Hospital

Morgan Parker Kimpel – Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital of Whittier

Amanda Sears – Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles

Sarah Yabroff – St. Vincent’s Hospital of Los Angeles

Michael Vivier – Los Alamitos Medical Center