Faculty Name: Dr. Mark Harrison

Courses Taught: CPSC 230, CPSC 351, EENG 410 (starting spring 2023)

Current Research: I work on designing integrated nanophotonic devices (really small circuits that guide light) for information processing applications (improving communication and computing networks). We use powerful computer simulation tools to design the devices, get them fabricated, then we test and characterize them in the lab.

Learn More About Dr. Harrison’s Research

Six Questions with Dr. Harrison

1. What is your favorite part of teaching at Fowler School of Engineering?
    Working with the students. In the classroom, they are curious and engaged. My research students constantly impress me with their ability to pick up and solve complex problems.
  2. What would be your ideal class to teach (preferably one that does not exist, yet)?
    I would love to teach a course about the history of technology development in the second half of the 20th century that was kicked off by the invention of both the transistor and the laser.
  3. How have you incorporated your industry knowledge and/or research into your teaching?
    I try to give relevant examples in-class from both my industry experience and my research. I also try to give context from my research about what engineering tradeoffs are still being made in the design and development of new technologies.
  4. What have you noticed about Fowler School of Engineering students that impresses you?
    Our students are constantly building things! Whether it’s games, or electronic devices, or 3D printed armor, they are constantly making cool stuff.
  5. What is the best piece of advice you have received?
    If you find yourself struggling to take advantage of an opportunity (apply to a job or grad school program), you should ask yourself if that’s something you really want to do in the first place. If not, then you should focus your energy on finding opportunities that you do want.
  6. Where can we find you when you are not at Chapman University?
    Hanging out with my family (wife and two young boys) at the beach, at a park, at the zoo, on a hike, or somewhere else outdoors.

If you would like to reach out to Dr. Mark Harrison, the best form of contact is probably email or slack, but office hours are always good, too.