Staff Name: Nicole Olguin

Position: Administrative Coordinator

Alma Mater: California State University, Dominguez Hills (B.A. Sociology ‘17)

Office Location: Swenson Hall, N117

At the Fowler School of Engineering (FSE), students can participate in a wide variety of activities, events, and opportunities provided by their professors, student organizations, and the Dean Suite. One of the many events students can participate in is FSE’s annual Chapman Make-a-Thon. Make-a-Thon challenges students to present a passion project in under 10 minutes for cash prizes. One of the many people who will be assisting in hosting this year’s Make-a-Thon is Nicole “Nikki” Olguin, FSE’s new Administrative Coordinator. 

Olguin is an alumna of California State University, Dominguez Hills, where she graduated with a B.A. in Sociology. Olguin has garnered various experiences in Human Resources (HR) and administrative work. 

Now serving FSE as their Administrative Coordinator, Olguin looks forward to aiding students in their endeavors, such as scheduling events, supporting Fowler’s new leadership council, the Circuit, and providing a welcoming environment for new and returning students looking to get more involved in Fowler Engineering.

Q&A with Nicole Olguin

Q: What led you to work for Fowler School of Engineering? What were some of your experiences that have helped you prepare for this role?

Olguin: I was actually in Human Resources before working in this position at Chapman. I was a lead for the Human Resources Processing Center team, where I led the team with I-9 verifications, data entry, and onboarding for new employees, such as students, staff, administrators, and faculty. I was there for two years, and then I transferred over here to Fowler! I feel that having Chapman knowledge really helped me because even though I’m new to Fowler, I know the campus. I know what Chapman’s all about. I have also had administrative experience in past jobs, which has allowed me to assist with daily tasks here at Fowler. 

Q: What are some of your responsibilities as an Administrative Coordinator? What or who do you typically oversee day-to-day?

Olguin: I’m fairly new, so I’m kind of new to the whole process, but I’ve been doing course scheduling for the Summer and Fall semesters. I help with many meeting logistics by booking the rooms and creating Sodexo orders for refreshments and snacks for the attendees. When new faculty come in for their interviews or guest speaker events, I help with booking their flights, hotel accommodations, and any reservations for lunch or dinner. I’m helping out with many events they have here at Fowler. I’ve been helping with Make-a-Thon, Preview Day, and if students want to book a space inside Fowler, like the Ideation Zone, they’ll come to me. They’ll send me a request form, and then I check the schedule and the calendars to make sure it’s available for their event.

Q: What has been your favorite moment or memory while working in this role, and why? 

Olguin: I really enjoy the Circuit meetings. I felt like the students here are not afraid to speak up. They’re very intelligent, and I really enjoy that they’re very comfortable in their space. They know their professors. When you walk by them in Swenson Hall, they say hello to you and always greet you with a smile. I enjoy connecting with the students, especially when they visit my office. This position allows me to bond with people around campus since I am more forward-facing with everyone, something I did not have in my last position.

Q: From your perspective, what makes working at Fowler School of Engineering unique or memorable? 

Olguin: Like I mentioned, I think it’s just the community within Fowler. Everyone knows each other, whether staff, faculty, or students, and they are all willing to help if needed. It’s kind of like an all-hands-on-deck environment. There’s always someone that you can turn to, and they’ll help you out. If you don’t know the answer, someone will definitely know the answer. I’m really enjoying being part of this community.

Q: Who has been your role model while working in this role?

Olguin: My manager, Adena, has been a great role model because she has so much passion for what she does. She has been a part of the Chapman family for a while, so can pass down institutional knowledge, which will help me in my role. She encourages me to ask questions to fully understand our processes and makes me feel comfortable going to her if needed. She is a great person, and I am happy to join her team. 

Q: What advice would you give to students who are looking to get more involved on campus? What would you recommend them to do?

Olguin: Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you don’t know something, that’s fine. There’s absolutely someone here that will know the answer. Try to get to know the staff, admin, and faculty because those connections will benefit your future. Get involved and join a club. Fowler offers many great clubs like the Circuit team, SWE, and Robotics. You will make new friends and join a lifelong community of future engineers.