Mental Health Matters

It’s OK not to Be OK Right Now

“Our pain isn’t always physical, our suffering isn’t always visible” is a motto I personally attest to hold true.

As someone who lost my mother to suicide when I was young, I know all too well the pain and grief when a loved one endures mental illness. I also can empathize with the millions of people around the world who are currently struggling with anxiety and depression due to grief and loss, just as I did in the wake of my mother’s suicide. Now, as the Director of Wellbeing, I share my own story and what I’ve learned about the journey toward mental health with others as part of “May Is Mental Health Awareness” month.

“Healthy Brain, Healthy Mind” Event & Podcast Series

There’s currently another side to the tragedy of the global COVID pandemic that we are facing—the dangerous and deadly battle that is fought within. Rates of anxiety, depression, and suicide have been alarmingly on the rise in the past year. The mental health epidemic gripping the nation and humanity has skyrocketed in recent months, as people grapple with financial stress, social isolation, trauma from losing loved ones, and concerns for their health in the face of the COVID crisis.

It’s the reason why I’m excited to re-launch the “Healthy Brain, Healthy Mind” podcast series for May This four-part series returns just in time for Mental Health Awareness Month and will feature interviews with health and wellness experts at Chapman. You can catch the entire series (as both video and an audio podcast) on our Fish FB and SoundCLoud pages. List of previous and upcoming episodes here:

May 3 – “Learning to Rehumanize” with Director of Psychological Counseling Services Andrew Kami, Ph.D.

May 10 – “Meditation Builds a Better Brain” with Assistant Professor of Health Sciences and Researcher in Meditation and the Brain Dr. Manjari Murali, Ph.D. 

May 17 – “Healing from the Trauma of Hate & Injustice” with Mental Health Therapist and CEO of VCH Prosperity Consulting Veronica Clanton-Higgins, MSW.

May 24 – “Ready, Resilient & Reflective” with Dean of the Wallace All Faiths Chapel Gail Stearns.

MAY 21, 3-4pm WORKPLACE WELLNESS & ENGAGEMENT SERIES 

Lastly, as our way to recognize all of our valued Chapman Administrators and Staff, please join us for our next Workplace Wellness and Engagement event that focuses on Mental Health. Win prizes, have fun, and learn new strategies with Paws Up for Workplace Wellness and Engagement, a nine-month series that encourages staff and administrators to focus on their health, engagement, and productivity while working remote or on-campus. Register and learn more details.

From all of us at the Fish Interfaith Center, we support you during Mental Health Awareness Month!

Dr. Jay Kumar
Director of Wellbeing, Fish Interfaith Center

Connect with us:
Blog https://blogs.chapman.edu/fish/
Email 
interfaith@chapman.edu
FB/IG – @Fishinterfaith

Twitter – @CU_Interfaith