Student blogger:
Steven Cometa (’14)

A new school, new campus, new students, new professors, a new life. Does that sound like all of the “new” things that you experienced during beginning of your 1L year? Most law students get to experience this exactly one time. But a handful of law students, including myself, were treated to a double dose of the shock of a new law school surrounding.

I began my studies at Whittier Law School in Costa Mesa. Before law school, I had never really been more than a wallflower. I had my small group of friends throughout grade school and during undergrad. I was determined that once I got to law school, that all would change. And it did. I set out to become involved in any way that I could. I served on the Student Bar Association which set me up to meet most of the student body and faculty. I became heavily involved with student groups on campus and even sat in on faculty committee meetings. I was in. Everyone knew my name and what I was about. Then I woke up one day and it was all gone.

Telling my school that I wouldn’t be returning was like breaking up with a girlfriend that didn’t do anything wrong. It was the old “it’s not you, it’s me” line. And that was true. I wanted whatChapman had: the professors, the courses, the strong supportive undergrad. All of my friends were supportive, which was a good feeling. I never got the vibe that they thought any less of me because of my decision to move on. In fact, I still have a great relationship with many of my 1L friends at Whittier.

“At Chapman, I saw an endless opportunity for personal growth and found a huge offering of courses that most other local schools do not offer.”

I transferred to Chapman Law and began my 2L year feeling much like a 1L. In fact, transfer students attended the same orientation that the first year students did. We sat through the same presentations that they did and had lunch together with them. I felt like I should stroll into a Contracts class and sit through another year of first year lectures. But I didn’t. I joined Professor Mainero’s Evidence class and took a seat among students that had already found their friends and built strong bonds during their entire first year and the summer following. I felt like I would easily fall into my old wallflower ways if something wasn’t done.

My classmates were extremely kind and introduced me to others. I felt very comfortable by the second week of classes. I reached out to the Chapman SBA and was given the opportunity to sit on the board as an External Representative to the American Bar Association. I attended many of the social functions that the school and the SBA put on and made more and more friends. I got involved with programs on campus that introduced me to many of our faculty members and administrators. Finally, by the end of my 2L year, I can say that I feel as comfortable dat Chapman as I have anywhere else.

Transferring is a big step. There is a bond with surroundings and peers that a law student develops over the first year of study that can never be replaced. But, it is not something that needs to be replicated. As humans, we are meant to experience new things and meet new people. The decision to transfer is much like a decision to change jobs. There are several factors to consider when deciding to make any big life change. Opportunity is usually the biggest factor in deciding whether to change schools. At Chapman, I saw an endless opportunity for personal growth and found a huge offering of courses that most other local schools do not offer. The administration of the law school works endlessly to ensure that our experience is unforgettable and full of opportunities. I will never forget where I came from, but I will never regret taking the leap and becoming a Panther.

About the Author:
Steven Cometa is a Southern California native. He began his study of law at Whittier Law School in Costa Mesa and transferred to Chapman to pursue its’ prestigious tax certification. At Chapman, he has been heavily involved in the U.S. Tax Court Clinic as well as the Tax Law Society. Steven is involved in student government as a representative to the Student Bar Association and is currently serving as the Chair of Chapman’s Graduate Student Counsel. Steven plans to pursue a career in tax law upon graduation.

The views expressed in the student blogs are those of the author and not the law school.