The 2014 Chapman Law Review Symposium will be held on Friday, March 14, 2014 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Blake Corry (JD ’14):

I really enjoy tax law. I do not understand why anyone would not want to come to this event. However, I realize there are people that go to this school who are uninterested or petrified of tax law. For that group, I still believe that attending this year’s symposium will be beneficial.

The Law Review Symposium is a worthy event to attend regardless of the subject matter for a number of reasons. This is one of the few events, along with the Nexus and Sports & Entertainment symposiums, which are primarily planned by students. Another reason is the networking opportunities. We have tax professionals and professors from Utah, Texas, Oregon, Arizona, New Jersey, Florida, Oklahoma, Philadelphia, San Diego, Los Angeles and the San Francisco area coming to participate in the event. This will allow students to make contacts with individuals in a wide range of cities where they may be interested in working.

The Law Review Symposium is typically focused on one main subject and this year that subject is tax law, but it touches on a variety different legal topics. For instance, Panel III will discuss many constitutional law issues that arise from state and local taxation. Panel II will discuss how federal tax reform may affect business formations. Panel IV will touch on how multinational companies structure themselves to avoid paying tax within the U.S. Although, tax law is the overarching theme, there are many areas of law including corporate and constitutional law that will be discussed.

I hope that all try to attend at least one panel to experience this year’s symposium. Who knows, it may be surprisingly interesting. Oh, and don’t forget that the area of tax law is always hiring!

Nancy Sandoval (JD ’14):

I definitely did not come to Fowler School of Law with any plans to pursue a tax emphasis! When I saw that Federal Income Taxation was a required course, I will admit that I raised an eyebrow . . . why tax? Why not another bar tested course?

What I have come to learn is that tax touches nearly everything—and nearly everything has a tax consequence. If one day I would like to advise business owners on which type of business form best suits their needs, it would be irresponsible of me to be entirely unaware of the tax consequences of suggesting an LLC over an S-Corp. Panel II of this year’s symposium “Pass‐Through Entity Reform: Is a Major Overhaul Necessary?” will touch on some of these concerns. Professor Morrow will be a panelist, and he has a way of making the most intimidating tax subjects seem approachable.

As a “non-tax” person, there is one panel that I recommend to other “non-tax” people debating whether they should attend the symposium: “Panel IV: Corporate Tax Reform: How to Tax Multinational Corporations.” In this discussion you will hear expert opinions on whether international corporations should be subject to U.S. taxation or whether imposing U.S. taxes would be crippling to these business giants.

Register for the 2014 Chapman Law Review Symposium.

This event is free for all current Chapman students and faculty. There is a discount available for Chapman alumni. For more information, please email Nancy Sandoval at sando136@mail.chapman.edu or Blake Corry at corry103@mail.chapman.edu.