After being elected as governor of the
American Bar Association (ABA) Law Student Division
, 9th Circuit, my classmates asked me, “What exactly do you
do
in this position?” The 9th Circuit consists of 14 western schools, including 13 in Southern California. My main priority is to communicate with fellow law students among these schools to spread awareness about the benefits of the ABA and encourage them to join. More importantly, my goal is to encourage members to utilize the many resources that are readily available to them.

group-3
As governor, I have the distinct pleasure of planning and organizing events throughout the year that promote diversity, raise awareness for mental health, and inspire students to partake in public interest affairs. Fortunately, I am not alone in my efforts. I have excellent lieutenant governors to support me and ensure that we have a successful term. As I move forward in the coming year, they will be with me every step of the way as we bridge the gap between the ABA and the students. Every lieutenant holds a distinct position, equally important to creating an environment where students from different law schools can work together and network.

The ABA is a great resource for law students and my goal is to shed some light on what it has to offer. Of course, this position comes with a few perks. Just this past March, I had the opportunity to visit Charleston, South Carolina for my training where I met and learned from the previous circuit governors from around the country. I will continue to meet and work with the bright minds that dedicate their time and effort to make the ABA an important tool for law students and attorneys alike.

arthur-smallAbout Arthur Arutyunyants

Arthur Arutyunyants is in his second year as a law student at Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law. He is a member of the Fowler School of Law Appellate Moot Court Competition Board, Student Bar Association and a writer for the Chapman Law Courier. Arthur received his B.S. in political science from the University of California, Irvine.