Bette and Wylie Aitken Family Protection Clinic Joins New Voluntades of O.C. Coalition
October 15, 2015
On October 7, 2015, Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law Professor Julie Marzouk led a press conference officially launching the Voluntades of O.C. Coalition. Voluntades of O.C. is a coalition of legal service providers, law enforcement agencies, social service providers and the Mexican Consulate that have come together to address the significant problem of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking in Orange County.
Domestic violence affects every segment of our society. It crosses race, class, language and immigration status. However, indigent and immigrant victims of domestic violence often lack the financial resources or knowledge of institutions to effectively gain access to services that can assist them in moving past victimization to security and self-sufficiency. Voluntades of O.C. is committed to breaking down those barriers. The coalition aims to holistically serve survivors in a culturally sensitive and victim-centered manner.
The Bette and Wylie Aitken Family Protection Clinic at Fowler School of Law is a proud member of Voluntades of O.C. The Clinic provides immigration and protection order legal services to indigent victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking while teaching law students real-world lawyering skills. Each year approximately 25 second- and third-year law students at Chapman’s Fowler School of Law enroll in the Clinic and develop practical skills in interviewing, counseling, brief writing and oral advocacy while simultaneously serving some of the most vulnerable members of our community.
Through the formation of this collaboration the Voluntades of O.C. aims to raise awareness of the negative effects of domestic violence, sexual abuse and trafficking in our community, collectively identify all possible resources to assist victims, provide direct legal, psychological and social services and collaborate in preventative campaigns. Voluntades of O.C. includes the following agencies:
- Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law Bette & Wylie Aitken Family Protection Clinic
- The Public Law Center
- The Mexican Consulate
- Anaheim Police Department
- Santa Ana Police Department
- Orange County Sheriff’s Department
- Orange County Family Justice Center
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Orange County District Attorney’s Office
- Orange County Public Defender’s Office
- County Counsel
- Community Service Programs – CSP
- Human Options
- Women’s Transitional Living Center
- Laura’s House
- Orange County Social Services
- Latino Health Access
- Orange County Human Trafficking Task Force
- UCI Law School’s Domestic Violence Clinic
- Western State College of Law’s Immigrants’ Rights Clinic
- Offices of Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez
Learn more about the Voluntades of O.C.