Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law will host the 2017 Entertainment & Sports Law Symposium, entitled “The Evolution of Sports Business,” on April 14, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. The event will feature a keynote luncheon presentation by Stan Kasten, President and CEO of the Los Angeles Dodgers. The symposium is presented in association with the Sports Lawyers Association and is sponsored by Greenberg Gross LLP.
For more than three decades, Kasten has been a highly respected sports figure and has developed a reputation for creating winning sports franchises. He became President and CEO of the Los Angeles Dodgers on April 30, 2012. Under Kasten, the Dodgers have won four consecutive NL West titles, a first in franchise history, led the Major League in attendance each of those years, and revitalized the Dodgers’ minor league system into what Baseball America has declared is No. 1 in baseball.
See a list of the symposium panelists below:
Panel 1: Sports Law 2.0: Broadening the Scope of Sports Law
- Paul Greene – Founder, Global Sports Advocates, LLC
- Alicia Jessop (JD ’09) – Founder, RulingSports.com; Assistant Professor, University of Miami
- Chris Koras (JD ’11) (moderator) –COO and General Counsel, REP1 Baseball, a Subsidiary of REP1 Sports
- Brooke Mallette – Assistant Vice President and Senior Legal Counsel, AT&T
- Chad Payne – Vice President of Business Affairs, The Players’ Tribune
- Brandon Witkow– Founding Partner, witkow | baskin
Panel 2: Emerging Trends in Sports: The Business of eSports
- Wayne Gross – Founding Partner, Greenberg Gross LLP
- Kathy Z. Heller (moderator) – Associate Professor and Executive Director of the Entertainment Law Emphasis Program, Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law
- Katherine Hollist – Associate Attorney, Gallagher & Kennedy
- Alex Igelman – CEO, Millennial Esports
- Roger Quiles – Founder, 1337 Sports Management
Panel 3: Keys to Success: Thriving as a Sports Agent in a Highly Competitive Market
- Evan Brennan (JD ’15) – NFLPA Certified Agent, 360 Sports LLC
- Jim Duquette – Former General Manager, New York Mets; former Vice President of Baseball Operations, Baltimore Orioles; current Analyst, SportsNet New York
- Michael Gruen – Senior Vice President, NBPA and FIBA Certified Agency 3PT Sports Management
- Robert Martin – Managing Partner & Owner, ICON Sports Management
- Matthew Parlow (moderator) – Dean and Donald P. Kennedy Chair in Law, Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law
The symposium has been approved for 3 units of general MCLE credits (1.5 hours each for panels 1 and 2). The event will be followed by an En Banc networking reception in the Kennedy Hall lobby.
Note that panelists may be changed prior to the symposium based on schedules and availability.