Elyn Lam has recently been awarded with the ASHP Student Leadership Award by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).

Set to graduate as a Doctor of Pharmacy in May, Elyn has been chosen as a recipient of this highly prestigious award from a pool of exceptionally qualified applicants from across the nation. She stood out based on her achievements, merit, and contributions to the field while at the Chapman University School of Pharmacy.

CUSP’s CSHP/ASHP-SSHP chapter received numerous awards while she served as the chapter’s president, such as both the ASHP Outstanding Professional Development Award (2021-2022) and the CSHP Community Service Project Award for Community Outreach focused on Mental Health Awareness (2023).

She had been previously noted as a rising leader in the pharmacy field on a national level. Elyn was appointed to the ASHP Pharmacy Student Forum, where she led efforts to foster networking among chapters across the nation in the Membership Engagement Workgroup. Elyn also effectively used social platforms to advocate and inspire other chapters across the nation to expand their chapters.

“I am honored to be recognized as a recipient of the ASHP Student Leadership Award, and I am beyond grateful for all the pharmacy school experiences that have challenged me to step outside my comfort zone and grow as a student leader,” Elyn says, reflecting on her time at Chapman and the opportunities she was given to succeed. “I am especially thankful for the unwavering support I have received from my faculty advisor, Dr. Jerika Lam, and fellow student leader, soon-to-be Dr. Megan Shieh!”

At Chapman, Elyn participated in a longitudinal Capstone research project under the mentorship of Dr. Miao Zhang, where she contributed to understanding the relationship between spinocerebellar ataxia and mutations in calcium-activated potassium channels. Her involvement led to authorship on a publication in the Journal of Neuroscience Research, adding her name to the growing list of our PharmD candidates who graduate with authorships.

After completing her Doctor of Pharmacy degree in May, Elyn will continue her education at University of Michigan Health for their PGY1 & PGY2 Program in Health-System Administration & Leadership, with a Master’s Degree in Business Administration.