Image Credit: GraphicSurfCom / Shutterstock.com © 2020
What is HyFlex?
HyFlex is short for “hybrid flexible.” The model includes options for in-person, synchronous online, and asynchronous online learning.
Because students participate in a variety of ways, instructors need to ensure everyone is able to engage with the material. As EDUCAUSE points out in their article, 7 Things You Should Know About the HyFlex Course Model, to receive the same quality of education every student needs to have the same level of access to
- resources (post them in Canvas) create and upload videos to Panopto where you have unlimited storage
- the instructor (regular office hours & availability before/after class via Zoom)
- their fellow classmates
- keep the People tab in Canvas visible,
- use Groups in Canvas to encourage collaboration,
- allow students to post questions to Discussions, and
- use Zoom breakout rooms for students to get to know each other
Are you going to teach on campus?
Know how to find out what kind of space you have and how to get technical assistance.
- Schedule technical assistance via Bookings
- Classroom support email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Classroom inventory: https://web.chapman.edu/classrooms
Video recordings with training
- Prime Hyflex Classroom Training
- Hyflex Basics and Course Design Tools
- Exploring Hyflex Problems and Solutions
- Planning for the Unknowns of Fall 2020
- Prime Classroom: How to use the instructor PC
- Prime Classroom: How to use your laptop
Upcoming opportunities to learn more
Educational Technology Services and the Institute for Excellence in Teaching and Learning have training planned throughout Interterm to help you prepare for the unknowns of Spring 2021. Check the training and workshop schedule and find out more!
Want to learn more about the HyFlex model and HyFlex at Chapman University?