This blog regularly profiles students at the Argyros School of Business and Economics. This week, we talk to Jonathan Sanchez, former President of the MBA Association, who led the a team of Chapman MBAs to the Finals of the ACG Cup, Mergers & Acquisition Case Study competition in 2012.

Jonathan Sanchez, Chapman MBAGraduating Year:
A: 2013

Program here at the Argyros School of Business and Economics (ASBE):
A: Flex MBA

Hometown:
A: Mission Viejo, CA

Emphasis at ASBE:
A: Finance

Undergraduate Degree:
A: BA – Business

Undergraduate Institution:
A: Cal State Fullerton

Undergraduate Graduation Year:
A: 2007

Work Experience (Years and Description):
A:  8 years as a sales professional and product manager.  I also served six years in the United States Air Force Reserve as an intelligence analyst.

Are you involved in any Chapman Activities/Organizations (i.e., MBA Association)? If so, please describe your involvement?
A: I served as the MBA Association President. As President, I championed the Association’s annual Newport Harbor “MBA at Sea” Dinner Cruise and the Jos A Bank “Dress for Success” promotion where Chapman MBAs received 70% off men’s suits. I also hosted the executive round table discussion which included the CFO of Taco Bell and the Vice President of Mattel Toys among other top executives. I am now active with the Alumni association.

What do you do for fun? What are Your Hobbies (On Campus, Off Campus):
A: My main hobbies focus around adrenaline-pumping activities, which include a passion for high performance sports cars and participating in high-performance driving events.  I also enjoy international travel.

Why did you choose the Argyros School of Business and Economics (ASBE)?
A: I selected the Argyros MBA program for its personal touch and well-respected reputation within the local business community.

Favorite business course so far and why?
A: My favorite course was Strategy.  I thoroughly enjoyed the deep discussions and analysis into the strategies of top corporations.

What are your favorite parts of the MBA experience so far and why?
A: I enjoyed collaborating with my classmates on challenging case studies and attending speaking engagements given by top executives.

Please discuss an activity you’ve been involved in (does not have to be MBA related) during your time as an MBA. Why is it important to you?
A: I was very fortunate to be a member of Chapman’s 2012 Association for Corporate Growth Cup (ACG) team.  The ACG Cup is a Merger & Acquisition Case Study; it includes the top MBA programs in Southern California competing for $25,000 dollars in prize money.  My team consisted of fellow MBAs: Rafael Gimarino, Adam Watson, and John Whitaker.  We posted Chapman’s best finish to date and the school’s first appearance in the finals by besting the teams from USC, UCI, UCLA, UCSD, and CSUF and placed alongside SDSU and Pepperdine.  I am very proud of this accomplishment.

In addition, I developed and hosted the “MBA Podcast” alongside fellow MBA Rob Erickson and hosted the first annual “MBA at Sea” dinner cruise in Newport Beach.

What opportunities has Chapman provided for growth in your future career?
A: The Chapman MBA deepened my skill set and broadened my business acumen.

What are your career goals & plans after the Argyros School?
A: My career goal is to rise to the level of CEO for a substantial firm.

What advice would you give to another student considering Chapman?
A: Recognize that your MBA is not only about the work in the classroom but also about the business relationships you develop outside the classroom.  I would consider Chapman because I feel when compared to other local programs, Chapman is better suited for the development of business relationships.

Favorite OC Restaurants:
A: Carmelita’s, Laguna Beach; Alessa, Newport Beach; K’ya  Bistro, Laguna Beach; Gen Kai, Dana Point; True Foods, Fashion Island.  I am kind of a Foodie!

Favorite OC Spots:
A: Javier’s Crystal Cove, SOL Cocina, The ROOFTOP, The DECK and our fabulous beaches