One of Chapman’s signature attributes is our highly regarded artwork from world-renowned artists. Ever wonder about how these beautiful pieces got here — how they were selected, who installed them or other curator details? Chapman has our very own on-site curator, Natalie Lawler, assistant collections registrar and preparator, who manages, catalogs, installs and maintains the University’s fine art with the help of her team of outstanding student workers. They admit their jobs are exciting, with no two days being the same in the life of a Chapman University art curator.

“In the context of our job (at Chapman), a curator helps create art exhibitions on campus or off, researches and writes about the artwork, and helps raise awareness of it around the campus community,” Natalie said. “We also maintain a catalog of artwork and exhibitions, and in many cases, install the exhibits ourselves.”

Among their most recent endeavors, Natalie and her team have been putting together an exhibition to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the
Escalette Collection of Art. It will be on display this month in Chapman’s Guggenheim Gallery, and will feature some of Chapman’s curators’ favorite pieces from the astounding and vibrant collection.

299-revision-v1

Natalie Lawler, assistant collections registrar and preparator, installing
World War I exhibit
 in Argyros Forum.

The curator team recently took down the popular exhibition of World War I that was on display in Argyros Forum during the spring semester. Natalie and her student workers, along with a group from the History Department, curated the WWI artifacts and images, and installed the exhibition during Interterm. They also teamed up with several graphic design students to design the layout and graphic text for an all-around collaborative experience.

“Every single day keeps me on my feet,” said Natalie. “I rarely do the same thing twice, and I get to work with so many different people around campus (sometimes even climbing on and around their desks).”

The curating team certainly seems to have a job with thrilling perks, including their creative collaboration and daily opportunity to inspire others through art.

“One thing I particularly love is teaching student workers how to use a drill — they often don’t expect that as part of the job,” Natalie added. “I also love giving tours to people who don’t necessarily love abstract art. It’s challenging, but teaching people new ways of seeing and thinking about color can be such a rewarding breakthrough. Most days I walk away from my job with a completely new set of tasks than what I walked in with. It keeps me intrigued.”

Email Natalie to schedule an art tour, and be sure to like and follow her team’s Facebook page for exciting new updates on Chapman’s remarkable art.