Health Sciences undergrads at Crean College of Health & Behavioral Sciences (CHBS) are passionate about the human body and all things related to health. Instagram walls are filled with images of students enthusiastically working on Anatomage tables, flipping through human physiology texts, and studying for the MCAT. But many admit to feeling slightly uncertain about careers in the healthcare industry. Will they really like working in an ER or a clinic? Do they want to work with patients directly or would a lab or administrative environment better suit them? To answer these questions, many undergrads chose to begin working in the field well before they graduate.

That is just what Health Sciences major Rachel Lustig ’20 has been doing for the past two years. Rachel has had the opportunity to work at two top-notch OC hospitals in a number of different capacities. This has allowed her to get an inside look at the industry, discover technical innovations that are being developed, and apply her classroom learning. We got in touch with Rachel and asked her to share her experiences with the Chapman community. Here is what she had to say:

Last summer I was an intern at the Medical Intelligence and Innovation Institute at CHOC where I shadowed multiple physicians in various specialties and attended talks regarding the potential that Artificial Intelligence (AI) has to transform healthcare and the future of medicine. I also presented in the Grand Rounds conference regarding recently approved FDA Medical Devices. I learned so many new things, and was able to understand what the daily life of a medical resident student and doctor are truly all about! Additionally, I attended the AI Medicine of North America conference and listened to health professionals from all over the nation discuss their new ideas and innovations regarding healthcare intelligence.

This summer I am working as a scribe St. Joseph’s Hospital Emergency Room in Orange! During my time at St. Joseph’s, I have learned how to document all patient records as well as interpret dictation from emergency department physicians of exam, procedure, and diagnostic testing findings and input them properly into the Electronic Medical Record system. It has been incredible to gain exposure to all types of cases, as well as form connections with the medical staff at the hospital! Also, I have been able to see things I have learned in the classroom directly apply to situations in the Emergency Department. and at CHOC.