You have probably seen all of the flyers and posts on social media promoting Crean College Research Night on September 4. So, what’s it all about? Should you go? The answer is, “yes” and here are the top five reasons why:
1. It is the best opportunity for Psychology, Health Sciences, and Applied Human Physio students to discover labs that are doing research specific to their majors.
This event is much smaller that other University-wide research events and focuses exclusively on research related to health. It is easy to maneuver through the posters, chat at-length with faculty, and discover research that is most relevant to your area of study.
2. You could land a research gig with a top-notch scientist just by showing up and chatting with them.
Some of the most impressive scientists at Chapman U are Crean College faculty members, many of whom attend this event to recruit students to work in their labs. If you come to the event, you will get a chance to meet many of them and get an in-depth look at their research interests.
3. Faculty-mentored, undergraduate research is one of the most high-impact learning experiences an student can have.
The benefits of doing undergraduate research are enormous. Students gain valued faculty mentors who can guide and nurture their academic growth. Students get the opportunity to present their work in public forums like scientific conferneces, allowing them to strengthen presentation skills. Having research experience on a resume makes students and alumni more competitive applicants for graduate programs and jobs. The list goes on.
4. Convenience: Everything you need to know about signing up and getting course credit for your research is explained at the event.
Registration can be confusing and sometimes discouraging so we have invited representatives from the Center for Undergraduate Excellence to give a brief presentation. They will explain everything from presenting your work at Chapman University Student Scholar Symposium and funding opportunities like the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (S.U.R.F.) We ensure that students leave the event with all of the critical information they need to sign-up with little to no-hassle.
5. It’s a great way to kick-off the new academic year!
In addition to being a research discovery event, it also serves as a fun way for the Crean community to come together and celebrate the start of a new academic year. The atmosphere is intellectually stimulating while being fun and relaxed. In addition to the free taco bar, there are plently of photo opps, swag bag giveaways, and much more. For those who can’t attend in-person, we will be livestreaming on our Instagram @chapman_crean.
The RSVP deadline for Crean College Research Night is 8/30/2019, 5:00 pm.
We look forward to seeing you there!