Every so often, we’ll be spotlighting alumni and what they are up to these days. These Q&A sessions will give you a bit of insight into where the world has taken them since graduation.

This week, the spotlight is on Tristen Tuckfield (MFA/Film Production ’06).

DODGE: Share your career path with us – how did you get where you are now?

TRISTEN: While I did not take the traditional mail room route in becoming an Agent in the Film Finance and Sales Group at CAA, my career path gave me experience and insight that I lean on daily.  Like so many of us, my point of entry into the industry started at Chapman, where I interned for a professor of mine, David Ebersole, who was also a producer. He introduced me to the world of independently packaged and financed films.  Since he was an AFI Alum, he set me up with a position at AFI, where I distributed fellows’ short films to places like HBO, Wellspring, and Shorts International.

Once I graduated from Chapman, I was hired as an assistant at Samuel Goldwyn Films.  Working with Samuel Goldwyn Jr. and Peter Goldwyn, I learned the world of development, film festivals, and distribution.  I tracked book properties and met with book agents as well as traveled the world to various film festivals buying movies to distribute independently.

From there I worked at Film Independent as the Industry Liaison for the Los Angeles Film Festival and was a programmer at AFI Fest before joining Millennium Entertainment as VP of Acquisitions.  I acquired incredible films from talented filmmakers like Josh Boone (Stuck in Love), Scott McGehee and David Siegel (What Maisie Knew), John Turturro (Fading Gigilo) and Matthew Weiner (Are You Here) to name a few.

After 8 years as a film buyer, I had the opportunity to work on the opposite side of the fence and join the Film Finance and Sales Group at CAA.  I’ve been an Agent for two years now and can’t imagine doing anything else.  I get to work with the biggest talent out there and the films I’ve sold, like BROOKLYN and ANOMALISA, have gone on to be nominated for Academy Awards.  It’s very fulfilling.

DODGE: What was the biggest adjustment you faced after graduation and how did you overcome it?

TRISTEN: The biggest adjustment for me was breaking into the industry to begin with.  While at Chapman, my classmates were doing multiple internships at studios, and because I had to earn money while in school, I felt that I was limited in some way since I wasn’t gaining the experience I wanted.  Looking back, I now realize that while I may not have had the opportunity to be exposed to various paths in the industry, what I was exposed to was a path.  And that’s really all I needed.  For me, building a career path while in school brought me to where I am today.

tristen tuckfield

DODGE: What is the best advice you have received and/or what advice would you give current students?

TRISTEN: I say this a lot but it’s only because I truly believe it – the best advice I can give current students is be opportunistic.  Say yes to everything – don’t overthink it.  If an opportunity presents itself – take it.  You never know where it will lead you and you will never miss out on what could’ve been if you take that initiative.  Just say yes until you’ve learned enough to know what to say no to.

DODGE: What is your favorite memory from your time at Chapman?

TRISTEN: I have two favorite memories and they are connected.  I met my husband, who is also the father of my two beautiful children, at Chapman on a Location Filmmaking set between semesters.  I was the cinematographer and he was the 1st AD, and that kind of collaboration as well as the antagonism that those positions naturally create taught us how to work together, fight together, and make incredible films together.

I was also the first woman ever to be nominated for a Best Cinematography Award at Chapman and it was for that same film.  I’m very proud of that.  These are all a part of my favorite memories at Chapman – shooting my colleagues’ films.  Being there on set, early, cold, in a raw environment that’s ready to be shaped – there is just nothing better than making that moment into something memorable.  There was no better feeling for me in the world then sitting next to the camera composing a shot and collaborating with friends.  I miss that time working with my fellow students at Chapman; it’s fleeting in many ways.  There are only so many moments in life when you get to be in the trenches with the same group of people over and over again working together to create something.  Taking an idea and making it tangible.  It’s really incredible.

DODGE: What have you taken from the classroom and applied to your career?

TRISTEN: Mentors are everything.  Professors, speakers, panelists; all of these incredibly talented people who take the time to teach and speak about their experiences helps shape your future self.  That and the collaboration and camaraderie that Chapman incubates from the classroom to the student film set is the secret sauce to career success.  What you learn at Chapman is that the people around you will elevate you and you will elevate them.  That give and take of playing different parts, from director to gaffer to writer to production designer, gives you the ability to know what it’s like to do someone else’s job and appreciate the difficulty and finesse that occurs when that job is done well.  Knowing your strengths and your colleague’s strengths and learning to lean on them when necessary helps me daily.  Admiring the capability of others and striving to be the very best you has brought me to the success I live every day.

DODGE: Have you received any awards or recognition?

TRISTEN: At Chapman University I was awarded the honor of being a Hayde Filmmaker in Residence Scholar with Harold Becker.  Since then I’m a mother of two and an Agent and that’s an accomplishment in and of itself!