As the head of development at Redondo Beach-based Dorsey Pictures, Hayden Boal (’13) creates, sells and produces content for various forms of media, including the five-episode Red Rocks Live in VR concert series, which has picked up its first Emmy nomination in the category of Outstanding Emerging Media Program. It’s a project that has benefited from the expertise of several Chapman alumni.

Robert Watts (’07) and Matt Celia (’07), the principals at Light Sail VR, were the experts to whom Boal turned to provide VR production and post-production services for the series, and with good reason: He was already familiar with their work. Prior to Red Rocks, a collaboration with 7 Cinematics and Meta, the trio had teamed up on several other projects after they first connected through Chapman’s alumni network.

“When I sold this show to Meta, I advocated strongly for Light Sail’s involvement, knowing the expertise they’d bring to the table,” Boal says. “Collaborating with fellow Chapman alumni brought a built-in synergy to this project. There’s an inherent trust in the high standards and strong work ethic instilled at Chapman. It’s a dynamic combination.”

Thinking back on his education, Boal credits Chapman for preparing him for a career in entertainment.

“Chapman’s hands-on approach was instrumental in my career,” he says. “My first internship/job with a Chapman alumnus exposed me to high-level industry experiences beyond my years. The comprehensive skill set developed at Chapman (from editing and shooting to producing) prepared me to meet these challenges.

“Chapman’s multifaceted culture, which encourages wearing many hats, has been invaluable throughout my career,” he adds. “Balancing academics with various extracurriculars at Chapman taught me adaptability and instilled the confidence to explore new opportunities like VR. This entrepreneurial mindset has been crucial in my current role.”

Of the Emmy nomination, Watts says, “Matt and I are proud of the incredible hard work of our team, and truly feel that this is another milestone in showing that immersive media is a medium that is steadily growing and will be an integral pillar of entertainment of the future.”

In addition to the Red Rocks Emmy recognition, editor Payton Koch ’18 (Only Murders in the Building) has picked up his first nomination and actress Hannah Einbinder ’17 (Hacks) has nabbed her third. The Emmy Awards will be handed out on Sept. 7 and 8 at the 76th Creative Arts Emmys and on Sept. 15 at the 76th Emmy Awards airing live on ABC.

Above, from left: Robert Watts, Hayden Boal and Matt Celia