Please join us in welcoming Aracely Acevedo, Ph.D., to the Schmid College of Science and Technology as a Grand Challenges Initiative Postdoctoral Fellow!

Dr. Aracely Acevedo earned her Ph.D. in molecular, cellular, and integrative physiology from UCLA. Her doctoral studies focused on investigating the mechanism of action by which the pharmacological agent BT2 confers protection from heart failure and metabolic disease in mice. Her findings resulted in a publication titled “The BCKDK inhibitor BT2 is a chemical uncoupler that lowers mitochondrial ROS production and de novo lipogenesis”. Her postdoctoral research project aims to determine the effects of arginine methylation of PGC-1alpha by PRMTs in the context of cold- and diet-induced thermogenesis. Acevedo’s mission is to contribute to metabolism and nutrition education and research to improve the metabolic health of human beings.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Q & A with Dr. Aracely Acevedo

What is your current area of research – and why are you passionate about it?

My current area of research as a postdoctoral fellow is to determine the effects of arginine methylation of PGC-1alpha by PRMTs in the context of cold- and diet-induced thermogenesis. I’m passionate about this area of research because it is an aspect of my mission here on Earth, which is to contribute to metabolism and nutrition education and research to improve the metabolic health of human beings.

What is the best advice that you have received in your science career?

Perseverance is what allows you to succeed in science.

What are you most looking forward to about GCI?

I look forward to conducting research, teaching, and mentoring students in the GCI program. I’m also excited about continuing to learn and grow as a researcher and educator.

What would you be doing if you weren’t a scientist?

I would be a sourdough bread baker. I would also be creating novel, healthy, and nutritious food recipes as medicine for the body and soul!

How do you like your coffee?

I like my coffee dark, sweet, with milk and cinnamon, and, of course, with a pan dulce on the side 😛