Please join us in welcoming Ana Belén Avilez García, Ph.D., to the Schmid College of Science and Technology as a Grand Challenges Initiative Postdoctoral Fellow!

Dr. Avilez García holds a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and a Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Coimbra, Portugal. She recently completed a one-year postdoc position at the University of the Western Cape, South Africa. She is a mathematician whose research focuses on point-free topology. Her interests also include category theory, algebra, general topology, and logic.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Q & A with Dr. Ana Belén Avilez García

What is your current area of research – and why are you passionate about it?

My current area of research is called point-free topology. This area of mathematics is regarded as an algebraic (more specifically, lattice theoretical) counterpart of classical topology. Locales and frames, the objects of study of point-free topology, are a generalized version of topological spaces where one focuses on their lattices of open sets, leaving aside the points. I am passionate about this area of mathematics because it combines algebra and topology; you can work with spaces in a geometric way using algebraic machinery.

What is the best advice that you have received in your science career?

The best advice I’ve received in my career was from my supervisor at the end of my bachelor’s degree. He said: “You should always try and aim higher; even if you are afraid and things don’t work out, always try. And, of course, always believe in yourself and trust in the knowledge and skills you’ve learned so far.” Whenever I feel discouraged, I like to remind myself of these words. We should always try, even if we fail, even if we are forced to change our plans. Always try your best and see what happens. Life can always surprise you!

What are you most looking forward to about GCI?

I am looking forward to meeting and working with people from different scientific backgrounds. I am very excited about the community built between the staff members and the students in this program. Unlike other postdoctoral fellowships, the GCI postdoc program is committed to building a sense of community.

What would you be doing if you weren’t a scientist?

If I were not a scientist, I would be studying philosophy. I love abstract and critical thinking. In fact, I hope one day I can invest more time in reading and studying philosophy.

How do you like your coffee?

I love to have coffee with milk. If I’m at a coffee shop, my go-to is a flat white, but an americano will do the job if I have to work long hours.