Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law’s faculty made a strong showing this month at the Association of American Law School’s (AALS) annual meeting in San Francisco. The meeting brought together thousands of law faculty, deans, other legal scholars, and administrators to discuss critical legal issues and further the organization’s mission to uphold and advance legal education. This year’s conference theme was “Why Law Matters.”
Below is a summary of the Chapman Law faculty’s participation at the 2017 AALS meeting:
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Daniel Bogart was a speaker on the panel “Keeping the ‘Real’ in Real Estate Transactions: New Ideas, Best Practices, and Partnership Opportunities to Strengthen Teaching and Scholarship” organized by the Real Estate Transactions Section.
- Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Development Donald Kochan moderated the “Property Law Works in Progress” panel organized by the Property Law Section.
- Professor Bobby Dexter was a participant in the discussion group “The Future of Tax Administration and Enforcement.”
- Professor David Dowling was a speaker on the panel “Using Technology to Unlock Engagement and Learning” organized by the Teaching Methods Section and co-sponsored by the Technology, Law, and Legal Education Section.
- Professor David Gibbs was a participant in the discussion group “Introducing Leadership Development into the Law School Curriculum.”
- Professor Ernesto Hernández-Lopez moderated the panel “Food Justice as Interracial Justice” organized by the Poverty Law Section and co-sponsored by the Law, Medicine and Health Care Section.
- Professor Julie Greenwald Marzouk moderated the discussion group “The Central American Refugee Crisis: A Discussion of the Current Response and Evaluation of the U.S. Legal Obligations Under Domestic and International Law.”
- Professor Lawrence Rosenthal was a speaker on the panel “False Confessions in Context” organized by the Criminal Justice Section.
At the meeting, the following Chapman Law faculty members received AALS section committee service appointments:
- Dean Matthew Parlow was elected to serve as the 2017 Chair of the State and Local Government Law Section.
- Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Development Donald Kochan was elected to serve as the 2017 Chair of the Property Law Section and as the 2017 Treasurer of the Real Estate Transactions Section.
- Professor Lan Cao was re-elected to serve on the Executive Committees of the Economic Globalization and Governance Section and the International Law Section.
- Professor Ernesto Hernández-Lopez was elected to serve on the Executive Committee of the Agricultural and Food Law Section.
- Professor Wendy Seiden was selected to serve on the Planning Committee for the 2018 Conference on Clinical Legal Education.
- Professor Kenneth Stahl was elected to serve as Treasurer of the State and Local Government Law Section.
Chapman was also pleased to co-sponsor (with the Stetson University College of Law) the breakfast meeting of the AALS Section on Associate Deans for Academic Affairs and Research.
In addition to our strong faculty presence at the 2017 AALS annual meeting, the law school’s Director of Communications David Finley moderated or co-moderated three panels at the AALS Institutional Advancement Section’s two-day annual meeting, also held in San Francisco this month. He was selected to serve as Co-chair of the Planning Committee for the 2018 Institutional Advancement Section meeting.
Congratulations to all of our hard-working faculty members and administrators.